Ryzen 9 3900x poor performance

Just upgraded from 6700k to 3900X recently and I've been testing botting Diablo 3 on VMware. Really underwhelmed by 3900x performance.

Running 2 VMs + 1 Diablo 3 on host OS on old pc with 6700k, i get around 50-80fps on host OS D3, and about 80-90% cpu usage. Running the same thing on 3900x, D3 on host OS gets around 40-70 fps(cpu usage aournd 30-35%), adding the third VM, D3 on host OS dips below 30 fps(less than 50% cpu usage).

VMware performance look about the same, both around 10-20 fps in D3 on VMs.

Same GTX 1080 ti, Samsung 950 pro 500gb NVME and both 32gb ram. TUF gaming x570 with 3900x and G1 gaming 7 z170 with 6700k

Same setting for VMware, 4 core and 6gb ram allocated to each VM.

Anyone got any idea why?

You should reinstall Windows when you switch from Intel to AMD

1 minute ago, Darpyface said:

You should reinstall Windows when you switch from Intel to AMD

That I haven't tried. Should that make a big difference?

1 minute ago, SlowCar said:

When you are troubleshooting a problem, you want to remove any unknowns to simply your life, and find the issue.

For example, no one, including yourself, is interested is spending hours on end trying to find a problem, where it was was some stupid driver that does something costing performance while it tries to initiate something it can't do as the hardware is not there. Again, just an example of a possible problem. While Windows 10 doesn't typically load drivers from hardware that is no longer there, its associated service and/program might still do stuff. It could also be, simply, junk you have installed. We don't know.

On your way, check your UEFi settings. Make sure XMP (can also be called DOCP) is set to Profile 1, make sure UEFI mode is not set to Legacy, make sure CSM is disabled, if you have a SATA drive make sure AHCI is enabled, make sure that AMD-V and any other virtualization feature is enabled.

Once done, and Windows is clean installed, check for updates, and install your AMD drivers, latest GPU drivers and so on. Make sure your Windows power plan is set to AMD profile as well (not high performance). Chech under Device manager that all hardware is detected and no exclamation mark exists.

Now setup your environment and test.

See if temps are not an issue, as well.

3 minutes ago, SlowCar said:

It's best practice to re-install the OS when making a change like that. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Gonna try it now, will report back

what about ram speed?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2300 for 3900x, can't remember 6700k, but it's from 4 years ago

21 minutes ago, SlowCar said:

2300 for 3900x, can't remember 6700k, but it's from 4 years ago

For Ryzen you want to aim for 3000+ with 3600 being the best before diminishing returns.

Might also be the chipset driver, when you switch cpus, but you dont reinstal windows, windows tends to stick with the same chipset driver, when i upgraded my CPU from a i7 3770k to a ryzen 7 2700x i got a similar issue, also for some reason, the GPU (1050ti) also wanted to stick with the Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver for some reason, reinstall windows after getting a backup

Just formatted the Samsung 950 Pro, reinstalled Windows. didn't really make a difference. 

Also, CPU temp seems good and clock speed constantly at 3.98GHz

image.png.6e327c66671491fb31fe55a929872d8f.png

8 hours ago, Darpyface said:

For Ryzen you want to aim for 3000+ with 3600 being the best before diminishing returns.

It was a typo, I meant 3200