Using a Thunderbolt to PCI-E 4x adapter to run external GPU on the cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADT-Link-External-Graphics-Thunderbolt-PCI-Express/dp/B07ZB5CS1R

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new laptop and fancy the XPS 2in1 because I'm a student and the keyboard/ screen/ track-pad reputation as well as the look and size are very appealing to me. That being said I'm also a gamer, so would like some gaming capability in a new laptop, especially an expensive one. Unfortunately they don't make GPU equipped versions of that laptop, but I have a plan. I already have a desktop GTX1070, and might as well use it if I'm going to be gaming on my laptop for any length of time (like a holiday or stopping over at the GF's house for example. My plan was to use the Thunderbolt 3 to PCI-E riser (linked above) along with a small power-supply to pair that with the xps, I was wondering if anyone knows of a better solution or any reason this outright wouldn't work.

I have considered an external GPU dock (like the razer core) and as I understand it, they are just a similar solution to this but combined with the power supply in a single unit. The reason I am keen to avoid anything like that is that I am currently saving up for the XPS working during University down-time and want to put as much of my eventual budget as possible towards a higher-spec model, and all of the GPU docks I have seen are very expensive. If I can jank-diy a solution cheaper without cracking open my laptop like those m.2 based options, that would be fantastic.

Cheers.