Downsides of Unactivated Windows 10

TechTippee

What a time to be alive. You can use Windows 10 without paying a dime for the privilege! But there's a catch...

My question is, what limitations come with using an unactivated copy of Windows? I've found information on a couple of cosmetic things: the watermark, and the Personalize feature being disabled. Is that all I have to lose? Sure, I could get a key for far cheaper than the $80-$100 most retailers demand, but saving money and time waiting is appealing.

Basically yes, Microsoft wanted as many people to get Windows 10 when it came out so made upgrading from Windows 7 free and even if it's not activated its basically the same.

It's basically just the personalisation options. 

I think you also miss out on official Microsoft tech support, but not that many non-business users actually use that. 

You can find a list of missing features at https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-long-can-you-use-windows-10-without-activation.

You can buy a valid key on eBay for around $8. They are usually Windows 7 OEM keys from decommissioned workstations. Most the keys are considered grey market, as selling them breaks Microsoft's ToS, but I've never seen a key purchased from eBay get deactivated.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

you also have the annoying for some people activate windows watermark

2 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

You can find a list of missing features at https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-long-can-you-use-windows-10-without-activation.

You can buy a valid key on eBay for around $8. They are usually Windows 7 OEM keys from decommissioned workstations. Most the keys are considered grey market, as selling them breaks Microsoft's ToS, but I've never seen a key purchased from eBay get deactivated.

The article is short and to the point. Love it. Though the comment that "some apps and features will stop working" gets at the heart of why I made this thread. I've seen it around, but I haven't seen anyone take the time to explain what stops working, even on Microsoft's forums.

Apparently it's nothing the average user will miss, but if anyone has specifics, I'd love to hear it.

22 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I think you also miss out on official Microsoft tech support, but not that many non-business users actually use that. 

It's useless most of the time since their troubleshooting steps are predetermined based on the vague scope of your error without having to require a person to use or have any technical expertise to solve your particular issue, it's the same kind of steps they provide online on their forums

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.