No video output from gpu

MrAxe

Built my pc a few days ago and it was running fine! This morning I woke up and noticed my f audio wasn't in right, so i unplugged it and replugged it... Now my gpu isn't spinning or outputting a video to my TV? 

Any ideas? I didn't damage anything and it was off when I was messing with it. I also can't turn it off anymore it stays on. It's obviously working because my TV detects something and it doesn't display anything! 

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

The machine does power up, but my screen remains black (no POST).

1. Make sure your BIOS version is compatible with the CPU generation you're trying to run in your motherboard, you can consult the manual or the manufacturer's website about this.
  2. Check if EVERY power cable is connected. Auxiliary power connectors included.
  3. Make sure the cable coming from your monitor is attached securely to the graphics card. Also make sure it is securely attached to the monitor itself.
  4. Make sure your PSU is powerful enough to power your complete system.
  5. Make sure your monitor works by testing it on a different computer.
  6. If you have both a dedicated GPU and an iGPU, try your monitor on both the outputs on the graphics cards as well as on the motherboard.
  7. Make sure all connectors and cables are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  8. Make sure your RAM, CPU and GPU are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  9. If the motherboard you're using has debug LEDs, check the error code and consult the motherboard manual to see what it means.
  10. If you have a debug speaker connected to the motherboard, note the beep sequence and consult the motherboard manual or this thread to see what it means.
  11. Try clearing your CMOS.
  12. Try booting your computer with only a motherboard, CPU and one stick of RAM attached (if you don't have an iGPU, plug in your GPU as well ;) ).
  13. Make sure your GPU works (if you have a dedicated one), try it in another computer.
  14. Make sure your RAM works, try it another computer.
  15. Make sure the RAM is compatible with your CPU and your motherboard.

If the PC still doesn't POST after this, create a new thread and, as explained here, post IN FULL DETAIL about your problem. Make sure you include the following:

1. System configuration
  2. Troubleshooting steps you already did
  3. Any additional information that may be relevant.

Some of these steps may not be applicable because you already know it's working, like 1 and 4.

As I said... It was working last night and I went to bed and connected f audio and now there's no video. I removed f audio still no video. I have checked everything is plugged in correctly and still nothing... I have change hdmi slots on the gpu and and on TV.. 

I have changed hdmi wires and everything. 

System Specs: Ryzen 5 5500 (Themralright Assassin X) // Asus A520m-K // Vengeance 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram // Gigabyte Eagle RX 6600 XT // Gigabyte P650B 650w // WD Blue Sn550 500GB Nvme // CX500 2TB  // CiY Tester84 (Outemu Orange) // Razer Mamba Wireless // Gamemax Trooper Case

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

The machine does power up, but my screen remains black (no POST).

1. Make sure your BIOS version is compatible with the CPU generation you're trying to run in your motherboard, you can consult the manual or the manufacturer's website about this.
  2. Check if EVERY power cable is connected. Auxiliary power connectors included.
  3. Make sure the cable coming from your monitor is attached securely to the graphics card. Also make sure it is securely attached to the monitor itself.
  4. Make sure your PSU is powerful enough to power your complete system.
  5. Make sure your monitor works by testing it on a different computer.
  6. If you have both a dedicated GPU and an iGPU, try your monitor on both the outputs on the graphics cards as well as on the motherboard.
  7. Make sure all connectors and cables are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  8. Make sure your RAM, CPU and GPU are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  9. If the motherboard you're using has debug LEDs, check the error code and consult the motherboard manual to see what it means.
  10. If you have a debug speaker connected to the motherboard, note the beep sequence and consult the motherboard manual or this thread to see what it means.
  11. Try clearing your CMOS.
  12. Try booting your computer with only a motherboard, CPU and one stick of RAM attached (if you don't have an iGPU, plug in your GPU as well ;) ).
  13. Make sure your GPU works (if you have a dedicated one), try it in another computer.
  14. Make sure your RAM works, try it another computer.
  15. Make sure the RAM is compatible with your CPU and your motherboard.

If the PC still doesn't POST after this, create a new thread and, as explained here, post IN FULL DETAIL about your problem. Make sure you include the following:

1. System configuration
  2. Troubleshooting steps you already did
  3. Any additional information that may be relevant.

Some of these steps may not be applicable because you already know it's working, like 1 and 4.

Should I turn it off at the psu? My f panel doesn't turn it off and the fans on the gpu aren't spinning and it's starting to heat up. 

6 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

You followed exactly zero steps I gave you. At least read the list. Try and reseat your F-Panel connections.

I read them all... I reseated ram and my gpu, I did check all my f panel and my mouse light is not coming on either is that a sign? It usually powers on the light on my mouse. 

11 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

You followed exactly zero steps I gave you. At least read the list. Try and reseat your F-Panel connections.

I actually think I have added another symptom that I didn't notice. My mouse isn't lighting up and it's plugged into mobo... My f panel lights it up for a few seconds and it goes off again. 

Last night I wasn't able to click on setting and power and I restarted and it worked fine again that was after I activated a new Windows key. 

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Okay, so you have fan spin, right?

I have fan spin but no gpu fan spin... Obviously that won't until it heats up enough but it is getting hot when it's on! Does that mean no post if my mouse isn't lighting up? 

When you first turn on the system do you get GPU fan spin? They only turn off after a bit. Try reseating your GPU.

I did that... I don't know but my gpu fans never turn on when I turn on my pc actually maybe for a second but no spin atm. 

Go ahead and double check, that turning on for a second is the important part.

Should I turn it off at the psu again and turn it back on? My power button is one way, basically only turns it and if I hold it my mobo light flickers. 

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah, if your front panel isn't working

It is but it's because it's a cheap case! Read that some f panels on turn on and not off. 

Yeah, if your front panel isn't working

No fan spin on gpu at launch... But heard some don't until they heat even at launch? 

Like I said last night it was abit buggy and not letting me click on power options or display or any options and I restarted and activated windows yesterday. 

I see. So still no POST? Make sure all your cables are seated, and clear CMOS.

How do I reset cmos and what are the issues that reset causes? 

Yeah seems like a power problem you sure all your cables are plugged in fully?

Yes... I unplugged my power and replugged back in all except the 24 pin because nothing would spin if that wasn't on right! 

So you plugged in everything except the most essential power connector? ...

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=how+to+clear+cmos&ia=web

It fixes general problems.

Ok, I'll try that! Could windows activation messed it up? Wasn't happening till then. 

Obviously the 24pin is in but I didn't uplug it because it would have to be working otherwise nothing would be powering on. 

18 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

So you plugged in everything except the most essential power connector? ...

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=how+to+clear+cmos&ia=web

It fixes general problems.

I held down clr cmos for 10 second and nothing had change now that I rebooted. 

You need to remove the motherboard battery and unplug it.

No, it won't prevent the machine from POSTing.

I'll try find a video on it. 

10 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Removed the battery and gonna let it sit for 5!

27 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Also hold down the power button for a bit to try and drain the power, but it seems like your power button isn't working so that may not work.

We have post my sexy friend! 

I'm so happy I just ran around my house screaming we have post! Obviously, my family were considering having me sectioned! 

My power is working fine BTW! It's just a cheap CiT Dark Star and the front panel is abit dodgy! 

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Clearing CMOS, that was one of the things in the list. :)

I know, I read the list but wanted to try others because it requires me taking out the gpu, moving wires and taking out my WiFi card! 

Why did my cmos cause that issue? I haven't oc'ed or anything just keep everything on auto! Also would my 1 slot wifi card work in my bottom 16 slot? 

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Stuff just happens. No idea, it just fixes stuff. Yes, your wifi card will work.

Thanks for the help, my friend! 

Everything has a reason, but I suppose its over our pay grade! 

6 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

The problem is actually back! I reseated a fan in my case and it started again! 

19 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

And clearing CMOS does? As I said, perhaps the fan is causing problems and is broken in some way.

Maybe but it worked! I can't keep doing it because I have to keep unseating and reseating gpu and WiFi card to get to it! Plus I'm assuming it will get damaged if I do it often? Any ideas? Both times it was after unplugging and replugging wires like the fan the second time and the f audio the first! 

It all happened the day after I entered my windows 10 licence if that helps! 😁

I get a single click noise after I shut down my pc everytime too! That might be nothing... Its a single loud click that happens everytime I do it no matter which way I do it. 

10 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Your windows license won't cause this. The click is normal. Try and not plug the fan in.

Should I try turning it on in the morning and see if it works fine? Like without cmos reset and get back to you? 

Tomorrow I'm going on a 5 day holiday around Scotland and I won't be able to do tests then but I can test it in the morning for you! Is that OK? 

Also my strix evolve mouse has the light stay on after my pc is off is that fine or should I unplug it to prevent damage etc? And is there anything that I should do to my pc before I leave it alone for 5 days? 

I'm getting a fan hub in a couple weeks to give me more than just an exhaust fan! I'll make a post again if that causes a problem and if it doesn't happen till then. 

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Okay, sounds good. You can just leave it unplugged.

Should I just leave my pc plugged in and like I normally do while I'm away and will my mouse make a difference overnight plugged in? Sorry the light is abit reassuring to me because the light stays off when my pc doesn't work. 

Well if you are going to be leaving then generally I like to leave it unplugged so I can deal with my surge protector acting up and just other stuff. You don't have to though.

In the uk, people are likely to experience spikes every 7 years but in rural area with a voltage box built into the house in Scotland... Its closer to 20 and unlikely! 

I'll leave it in! If I do have a spike and it gets past the ac box or whatever it's called then it'll probably be stopped by the surge protector.