SHP9500 vs PC37x

dem

Hi guys, 

Im looking for a gaming headset that I would sometimes use for music. 

For around $120, what would be better, the Sennheiser PC37x or the Philips SHP9500 with a Vmoda boom pro. 

I know that the 37x's probably has a better mic, and has a flip to mute microphone, but I hear that the 9500's have a sound thats relatively close to the 58xs. 

Any thoughts?

14 minutes ago, dem said:

Hi guys, 

For around $120, what would be better, the Sennheiser PC37x or the Philips SHP9500 with a Vmoda boom pro. 

I know that the 37x's probably has a better mic, and has a flip to mute microphone, but I hear that the 9500's have a sound thats relatively close to the 58xs. 

Any thoughts?

No always buy a seperate mic for the headphone. Get the SHP9500 with the antlion modmic uni. I mean you could get the Vmoda boom pro but I would get a modmic instead.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

14 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

No always buy a seperate mic for the headphone. Get the SHP9500 with the antlion modmic uni. I mean you could get the Vmoda boom pro but I would get a modmic instead.

Solid recommendation, I heard that the mod mics are really good. Unfortunately, they increase the price of the headset by quite a bit, and would require an extra cable :(

14 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Dont forget clamp force and comfort

The Senheiser will crush your skull while the the SHP9500 is pretty loose

Seeing as there is no workaround for the clamp force of the Senheiser, and that there is a workaround for the lack of mic on the SHP9500, I'd pick the latter

This is before consideration of audio quality

When you have more $ to spend on a headset, you can get the X2HR and transfer the mic, and there you have a mic-on-headset setup that is very very hard to beat when you you consider the combination of sound quality + comfort + versatility + build quality

This is true. I hear that the clamping force of the seennheisers are really tight. I tried my friends 58x's and it got uncomfortable after quite some time. 

So in terms of sound quality, the 37x's are better, but the 9500s are a better option because of the upgrade path to the X2HR? 

9 minutes ago, dem said:

Solid recommendation, I heard that the mod mics are really good. Unfortunately, they increase the price of the headset by quite a bit, and would require an extra cable :(

The modmic uni is only around 50 euros and the cable comes with it of course.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Sould quality is subjective. Please leave the X2HR out of the picture for your current situation. I'm just saying it because if you buy a mic attachment for the SHP9500, its going to work on the X2HR as well.

I used the SHP9500 (in fact I own 2 sets because I was impressed by the sound at its price) and upgraded to the X2HR. The X2HR is probably the end of my audiophile search because I really like the sound profile, and I am averse to the prospect of downgrades in headband solution and build quality if I were to risk money on more expensive headphones. I dont even game and I dont have any mic attachment for any of my headphones. Instead I have an ES100 for when I want to keep listening when not seated at my computer.

Thanks for the inputs! Strongly considering the SHP9500 now :)

4 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

The modmic uni is only around 50 euros and the cable comes with it of course.

True, but i was looking at around 120 usd max for the whole thing :) Maybe i can save up for that too. hmm..

6 hours ago, dem said:

Hi guys, 

Any thoughts?

Personally I .uch prefer the pc37x over the ago 9500s. The ago 9500s are wide sounding very opens headphones but has a slightly generally

unpleasant treble to my ears ,but that's just me. The pc37x just sounds flat generally pleasant great for gaming not so much music sound imaging is pretty on point and better than the shps

but not as wide sounding as the shps.

23 hours ago, rice guru said:

Personally I .uch prefer the pc37x over the ago 9500s. The ago 9500s are wide sounding very opens headphones but has a slightly generally

unpleasant treble to my ears ,but that's just me. The pc37x just sounds flat generally pleasant great for gaming not so much music sound imaging is pretty on point and better than the shps

but not as wide sounding as the shps.

I do hear that a lot from reviewers.

So in SHPs for music and 37x's for gaming? 

18 minutes ago, dem said:

I do hear that a lot from reviewers.

So in SHPs for music and 37x's for gaming? 

Personally wouldn't get either for music to be completely honest

Both are very decent for gaming you can't really go wrong with either for just gaming I just think the pc37x sounds better.