I need build help for special circumstances.

Negra

I need help building an unraid (unless there's better options) server I would like to do the following with: 

• * Run a media server most likely Plex 
  • * Run a cloud file service like nextcloud 
  • * Off site video editing 
  • * Vm's like MacInABox 
  • * VM gaming (not important)
  • * Email Server etc (if possible but not important)

I eventually want to evolve into more powerful uses down the line.

Can you help recommend a build for me. So far this is my build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Loniethecreator/saved/4st6rH

Any advice would be appreciated. I can't find answers anywhere. 

11 minutes ago, Negra said:

I need help building an unraid (unless there's better options) server I would like to do the following with: 

• * Run a media server most likely Plex 
  • * Run a cloud file service like nextcloud 
  • * Off site video editing 
  • * Vm's like MacInABox 
  • * VM gaming (not important)
  • * Email Server etc (if possible but not important)

I eventually want to evolve into more powerful uses down the line.

Can you help recommend a build for me. So far this is my build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Loniethecreator/saved/4st6rH

Any advice would be appreciated. I can't find answers anywhere. 

Isn't Unraid an OS? Why would you need to pay for Windows if you're running a Linux based OS? Are you using the key inside of one of the VM's? If so, why is Pro needed?

Is there a particular reason for C246 when you aren't running ECC? K-SKU for a non-overclocking system?

As far as the services you want, I can't speak for that.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

25 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Isn't Unraid an OS? Why would you need to pay for Windows if you're running a Linux based OS? Are you using the key inside of one of the VM's? If so, why is Pro needed?

Is there a particular reason for C246 when you aren't running ECC? K-SKU for a non-overclocking system?

As far as the services you want, I can't speak for that.

Yes unraid is on OS. I don't need windows pro correct. No reason for C246.. Do you have a better suggestion? I'm thinking about running ECC. And I don't know what K-SKU is. 

57 minutes ago, Negra said:

Yes unraid is on OS. I don't need windows pro correct. No reason for C246.. Do you have a better suggestion? I'm thinking about running ECC. And I don't know what K-SKU is. 

Well, if you want to run ECC, you will need the C246, which would make the chipset selection reasonable. I'm not very familiar with 300-series boards, so I'll leave the recommendations to other people.

The K-SKU is referring to the 9900K choice, which is an unlocked CPU, that carries a price premium over the standard 9900, with marginal difference in stock performance.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

49 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Well, if you want to run ECC, you will need the C246, which would make the chipset selection reasonable. I'm not very familiar with 300-series boards, so I'll leave the recommendations to other people.

The K-SKU is referring to the 9900K choice, which is an unlocked CPU, that carries a price premium over the standard 9900, with marginal difference in stock performance.

Thanks for the advice!

Does your editing workflow rely on single threaded performance? If not, I'd highly recommend going Threadripper. 
I know plex is heavily multi threaded. Plus, you can slap up to 8 sticks of ram in there, and as a bonus, you can actually run ECC ram, which you can't on the 9900k

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 8/2/2020 at 9:48 PM, OddOod said:

Does your editing workflow rely on single threaded performance? If not, I'd highly recommend going Threadripper. 
I know plex is heavily multi threaded. Plus, you can slap up to 8 sticks of ram in there, and as a bonus, you can actually run ECC ram, which you can't on the 9900k

I changed my mind to the Ryzen 9 3900x I don't think I want a threat ripper yet. Something to work up to. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 10:01 PM, Negra said:

Ryzen 9 3900x

That's a v nice chip. I built my plex box off the back of a brand new 200$ TR1920X largely because it was an insane passmark score for the money and everything I was running on it wasn't sensitive to SST performance. It did mean I ended up spending more on mobo than cpu, but running 8x8GB ram was nice

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup