Checking the RPM.

Harshil

Hi,

I need a way to test the rpm of my drive. I've heard that hd tune is a way to do so, but don't really know how to check the rpm. Please let me know if you guys know how.

"Spells do exist. We are all just out of Mana."

Check the model number in windows or on the hdd :)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Per the Code of Conduct:

4.1 Trolling

This includes but is not limited to the following:
  • Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums.
  • Causing disturbances in forum threads such as picking fights or insulting other members.
  • Making non-constructive posts for the purpose of causing unrest. This includes posting LMGTFY links.
  • Abusing the Report Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
  • Labelling a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements.
  • Replying to a thread simply to call the author a troll (regardless of whether the post is actually trolling)
  • Excessive use of font colors for non post formatting purposes will result in moderative action.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Per the Code of Conduct:

Dont sent NSA after me :(

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Guys, I looked it up but mostly it is recommended to look it up in the specs or use tools like hd tune. However I know the RPM it's just I want to test but the recommended software appliction do not give a concrete answer.

Guys, I looked it up but mostly it is recommended to look it up in the specs or use tools like hd tune. However I know the RPM it's jjust I want to test but the recommended software appliction do not give a concrete answer.

Do you want to test the read & write speed? cause then you can use crystaldisk

Do you want to test the read & write speed? cause then you can use crystaldisk

No, testing read/write speeds is straight forward process. It's the RPM I want to test.

No, testing read/write speeds is straight forward process. It's the RPM I want to test.

May i ask why? what purpose  do it have? Dont you trust the manufacturer

May i ask why? what purpose  do it have? Dont you trust the manufacturer

No, actually I want to know whether a given drive is genuine. 

Couldn't you just read out the serial number with crystaldiskinfo and then check the manufacturers website?

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Couldn't you just read out the serial number with crystaldiskinfo and then check the manufacturers website?

like i said. But he wants to test the RPM of the drive.

like i said. But he wants to test the RPM of the drive.

Yeah, I only saw the part where you recommended looking at the back of the HDD :D.

I wonder whats the point of this at all? OP claims that he wants to know if it's genuine. IF a faker can manipulate the serial number of a drive, he sure can also manipulate the RPM, that programs like HD tune can read. It's not like those programs measure the RPM. They only take the predefined value that the manufacturer set, when producing the drive.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Yeah, I only saw the part where you recommended looking at the back of the HDD :D.

I wonder whats the point of this at all? OP claims that he wants to know if it's genuine. IF a faker can manipulate the serial number of a drive, he sure can also manipulate the RPM, that programs like HD tune can read. It's not like those programs measure the RPM. They only take the predefined value that the manufacturer set, when producing the drive.

hey dont ask me, im equally confused  ;)

Then how would you differentiate if fake one has all the specs and features of the genuine one?

Then how would you differentiate if fake one has all the specs and features of the genuine one?

You couldn't :o. Unless you knew the detailed construction plan and unscrew the HDD (which would be its certain death).

But why do you even have the suspicion that it's a fake drive?

You couldn't :o. Unless you knew the detailed construction plan and unscrew the HDD (which would be its certain death).

But why do you even have the suspicion that it's a fake drive?

Curiosity. Anyway if anyone has wd black 1tb let me know your read/write speed.