Asus VG248QE Issues?

InstantMash

Hi, I am asking here because I don't know what else to do.

I built my son a computer a few years back and gave him my handed down Asus VG248QE which has been working great until recently. The monitor wouldn't recognise the display port connection, so I bought another display port cable which did not fix the issue. The monitor works with a HDMI cable but that only runs at 60Hz. My last solution was to try a Dual Link DVI Cable which I read can do 1080p 144hz but when I plug it in, it only shows 1024 x 768 at 60Hz and 800 x 600. I have managed to get the DVI connection to display 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz by creating a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel but whenever I try too set a higher refresh rate(120, 144) the screen becomes fuzzy.

Any help with this would be great appreciated.

Regards
Matt

I’ve had terrible luck with dual link dviD. I don’t think it’s being supported anymore.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

At first I thought it was because I had a single link DVI but then I went into my shed and found a Dual Link DVI and am still having the issue.

My understanding is single link works better than dual link atm. If something needs dual link and can’t get it though it’s sorta toast.  There are “active” adaptors that can turn it into DP, but they tend to be flakey and are really expensive. The non “active” ones are somewhat better as well as being cheaper, but I’ve still had issues with them myself.  Non active works but only in one direction and if it’s the wrong one active is the only option.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.