Strix B550-E and the Case of the Disappearing Bluetooth

Hoping someone has some advice for me, I've just done my first build and things have gone...fairly smooth, except for this one issue.

After having my system up and running for several days, suddenly Bluetooth has completely disappeared from my system. So far I have tried updating my BIOS, running Windows Update, completely re-installing Windows, loading default settings on my motherboard, installing the Intel Bluetooth drivers, running windows hardware troubleshooter, toggling bluetooth off and then back on again in BIOS, nothing is making any difference whatsoever. 

Before re-installing windows, the Intel Bluetooth device was still showing up in device manager with Error 45 (Device Disconnected). After install it just doesn't show up at all. I do however have  I'm not sure how on earth it could be disconnected, as my motherboard (ASUS Strix B-550E) has an integrated Intel AX200NGW Wifi 6/Bluetooth 5.1 Module. When I say integrated, I don't mean it came with a preinstalled M.2 module as the Strix B450-E did, but it is literally built in to the board. The issue would be more clear cut as well if it wasn't for the fact that the wifi portion of the integrated module is working just fine. How one part can be working and not the other is beyond me.

Any insight into what the hell to do to fix this would be much appreciated. 

Did you install the chipset drivers?

20 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

Did you install the chipset drivers?

Yes, from the AMD website. When it was working I had used the chipset drivers from ArmouryCrate's update feature, since it's stopped working I've done a fresh format and Windows re-install and installed the B550 chipset drivers from the AMD website. There are no unknown devices showing up in device manager. 

Oh my ASUS board I can disable WiFi, audio, and bluetooth in the BIOS.  Any chance that's what has happened here?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

32 minutes ago, nick name said:

Oh my ASUS board I can disable WiFi, audio, and bluetooth in the BIOS.  Any chance that's what has happened here?

That was my thought as well, but no. I've gone into the BIOS and have checked that the Bluetooth Controller is turned on in the device management section. 

Maybe try getting the drivers from ASUS's website, it might include the driver for the bluetooth module.

Just in case anyone ever finds this thread with the same issue, I did end up solving it, kind of. 

Bluetooth is now back up and running, all I did as a final troubleshooting step was leave my PC unplugged from wall power completely overnight.

Clearing CMOS didn't work, so I'm not sure why the rest of the board not having power lead to the hardware being detected again, but it worked. 

New to the forum but would like to bring to attention that some MB's leave the BT/WIFI on even if you turn off the machine. Disconnecting the power would sever all power to the board and thus reset all devices. 

thay

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 3:33 PM, Annix said:

Just in case anyone ever finds this thread with the same issue, I did end up solving it, kind of. 

Bluetooth is now back up and running, all I did as a final troubleshooting step was leave my PC unplugged from wall power completely overnight.

Clearing CMOS didn't work, so I'm not sure why the rest of the board not having power lead to the hardware being detected again, but it worked. 

Thanks ! Worked for me ! Disconnected it for only two minutes and it worked !!! 

• 5 months later...

Thank you guys for your help ! Just happened to me and it worked ^^

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 8:33 PM, Annix said:

i was about to return my new board before reading many thanks

#1:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 2700X @ 42.50mhZ | Patriot Viper Steel Series 16gb (2x8) 4000 MHz | MSI RTX 2080 GAMING TRIO | ASUS ROG RYUJIN 240 | NZXT S340 ELITE | 2X 1TB 970 EVO PLUS M.2  +  3 X 1TB FIRECUDA 2.5" HYBRID DRIVES | EVGA SUPER NOVA G3 80+GOLD 1000W | AND ENOUGH RGB TO MAKE YOUR EYES MELT 

#2:- GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | RYZEN 2700X | AURUS 3200MHz | MSI GTX 1060 6GB | CIT BLAZE MID RED-BLACK | STOCK RYZEN RGB AIR COOLER | 2TB WD HDD + 500GB 970 EVO PLUS

#3:- STRIX X470-F GAMING | Ryzen 7 1800X | DOMINATOR LPX 3000MHz | STRIX 970| COOLER MASTER 240 ML | GAME MAX AURORA MID TOWER | CRUCIAL P1 1TB SSD M.2 + FIRECUDA 1TB HYBRID DRIVE

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I had found this topic a little concerning.

While I do not use Bluetooth feature that much on a desktop, I really needed it today, and the Bluetooth icon is nowhere to be found.

There is no way to enable it, it is not listed on device manager, gone!

I updated the chipset, the Bluetooth driver as well, with admin rights, then I realized my BIOS was outdated so I went ahead and updated to the 2006 version.

Now with everything up to date the problem persists. Not even with the power method. Any ideas?

My current rig

Asus B550-e (256gb and 512gb nvme m.2 storage)

Asus ROG 1660ti

RAM XPG 4X8 32gb @3200mhz

Ryzen 3600 @4.05ghz

*Update, it wasn't working the Power method until I actually pressed the power button 3 times, when out of power, then left it 1 hour.

Turned it on again, works fine!

So maybe it stored some energy and just needed a good flush.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Created account just to say thanks, this power method solved my issue instantaneously after many hours of frustration.

If you don't want to wait overnight:

1. Shut down
  2. Disconnect power
  3. Hold power button ~15s to drain any last power
  4. Boot up
  5. Voila!