Need help to solve CPU bottlenecking

Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,

The monitor has nothing to do with performance or framerate and certainly isn't bottle necking anything. 

Your issue is the CPU and RAM, but upgrading those will require a new mobo, as well. There's no cheap way out here. You basically overbought on the graphics card. It's more powerful than your system can make use of.

Budget (including currency): below RM2000 for a new monitor

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Half competitive half casual gaming : Assassin Creed Odyssey, Resident Evil 2, The Division 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Dota 2

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi, my current pc parts are:
Intel i5-4690
Galax RTX 2060 White
MSI Z97s Krait Edition SLI
Hyper X Fury 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 MHZ
Kingston SSD 120GB
WD 2TB HDD

Hi there, I have just changed to RTX 2060 due to my fan failure in my beloved GTX 970. However, I have faced with severe game stutter especially on Triple A games such as Assassin Creed Odyssey and The Division 2. My CPU Usage will always spike up to 100% usage while my gpu will remain in 50% or 60 % usage. Sometimes even my dota 2 can hit up to 100% CPU usage too.

Therefore, I would like to ask that is it wise to upgrade to a new 1440p 144hz monitor as to reduce my cpu usage ? I mean will it help if i play in 1440p and medium settings for The Divison 2 and Assassin Creed Odyssey or even the future Vanhalla ?

I actually have few choices to choose however i do not know that which monitor is the best ideal choice for me:

1) Alienware AW2521HF
2) Samsung 28UR550 (4k 60hz)
3) Acer Nitro XV272U (i feel that this is the best choice but i just dont feel promised with Acer quality)
4) MSI MAG271CQR (WQHD  144hz)

Can someone kindly guide me on this ? I have been dilemma since MCO in my country which started on March 2020 until today
P/S : I am currently using HP Pavilion 23fi

Thank you to all the mates around the world.
Stay safe.

Upgrading your monitor will not reduce your CPU bottleneck. You need to upgrade the bottlenecking part to reduce your bottleneck.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Upgrading your monitor will not reduce your CPU bottleneck. You need to upgrade the bottlenecking part to reduce your bottleneck.

hi thanks for your prompt reply. I wish that too however changing the entire pc is not in the part of my plan. Any ideas mate ?

The monitor has nothing to do with performance or framerate and certainly isn't bottle necking anything. 

Your issue is the CPU and RAM, but upgrading those will require a new mobo, as well. There's no cheap way out here. You basically overbought on the graphics card. It's more powerful than your system can make use of.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

To Levent and Chris Pratt

Thank you to both of you and I think I guess I have no choice to wait until I have a sufficient budget to get a new PC again.

Thank you to both of you.

24 minutes ago, tuanlinglee said:

hi thanks for your prompt reply. I wish that too however changing the entire pc is not in the part of my plan. Any ideas mate ?

used i7 4770k/4790k. oc the cpu to 4.5ghz+. there are plenty of guides how to do that. do you have 2x8gb or 1x16gb of ram. if 2x8gb you are all good. if you have 1x16gb get atleast 1x8gb more of the same brand and model in order for your ram to run at dual channel.

anyway i7 4770k/4790 when overclocked will give you much more performance. and then your cpu shouldnt bottleneck with rtx 2060 anymore

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)