Trying to set up 2 displays with new GPU

RadSalacan
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
Just now, RadSalacan said:

I had thought that electrically, the video signal of HDMI and DVI were the same.  Is that not the casewith dual link?  If I were to have gotten an HDMI to DVI adapter would this have been more likely to work?  Do you have a suggestion for an adapter to use?

HDMI is based on single-link DVI. It supports higher resolutions by increasing the signaling speed. DVI supports higher resolutions by adding a second set of signaling lines (dual-link) which the single-link HDMI connector does not have pins for.

There are some in the linked in the guide.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XYBA72/?tag=linus21-20

You can try the one you already ordered to see if it will happen to work with your monitor first though, since true dual-link adapters are pretty expensive.

Hey there guys.  Been quite some time since I've posted here but I've run into a problem and I knew where to come for an answer.  So here's the deal:  I just got a new 2080 super (Gigabyte Aorus waterforce) and I've hooked up my Asus PG278QR to it via display port and it works perfectly.  The trouble I'm having is that my older monitor (an Xstar 27inch QHD) only has DVI on it and as far as I know, no built in scaler.  So the resolution will only work at its native 2560x1440.  As I'm sure most of you know, the 2080 super has no DVI ports on it but... I thought ahead lol, I bought a DVI to display port adapter.  I can get the Nvidia control center to see that there is a Dual Link DVI display connected but I cannot check the little box next to it in order to activate it as a usable display.  I thought I might just use the onboard GPU on my 8700K as there is a display port on the back of my motherboard.  I installed the intel graphics command center and it's a similar story.  I can get it to see that the monitor is plugged in but when I attempt to activate it, all the monitor does is flash through colors.  Red, Green, White, Black etc... It shows up as being 1920x1080 so I figured that was the issue and try to make a custom resolution at 2560x1440 but it says it is not supported.  Does the IGPU on the 8700K really not support QHD through display port?  I also tried installing a second crappy GPU (a geforce 210) but then I just have issues with the graphics drivers not wanting to cooperate between the 2 cards.  I guess the TLDR is I think I need an active DP adapter to use my DVI monitor...is this the case or is there an easier way to use the onboard IGPU on my CPU?  Am I just a dummy and there is an answer staring me in the face?  Thanks in advance for any help!

You don't by chance have the link to the adapter you bought? Quick skim on Amazon shows a bunch of passive adapters that only support up to 1080.

Edit: Also, just found an old thread and a guide on here that explains it really well.

Spoiler

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

You don't by chance have the link to the adapter you bought? Quick skim on Amazon shows a bunch of passive adapters that only support up to 1080.

Edit: Also, just found an old thread on here that explains it really well.

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

Yes, I do in fact.  I have already bought a second one before I was sure what was going on and I'll link that one too.  I realized I need dual link for 2560x1440.  So hopefully that will do it?

So here is the first one I bought (the one I'm trying to use now)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LGITGY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here is the one that's on order

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Z723JU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

As mentioned in the pinned thread, 2560×1440 requires dual-link DVI. Both of the adapters you linked do not provide that.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DP&input=DVI

Strange, because the product information in the second one I linked definitely says it does.

3 minutes ago, RadSalacan said:

Strange, because the product information in the second one I linked definitely says it does.

Unfortunately it is not, as mentioned in the guide there are an enormous number of fake dual-link adapters on the market.

The product information says it "supports dual-link DVI resolutions", which it does, but not by actually supporting dual-link DVI; it only supports those resolutions through the HDMI protocol if you connect it to an HDMI display using another adapter. That's why, per the reviews, it only works on specific monitors such as the Dell U2711 or U3011 which can accept HDMI signals (high speed single-link signals) through their DVI port.

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Unfortunately it is not, as mentioned in the guide there are an enormous number of fake dual-link adapters on the market.

The product information says it "supports dual-link DVI resolutions", which it does, but not through dual-link DVI, it only supports it through the HDMI protocol if you connect it to an HDMI display using another adapter. That's why, per the reviews, it only works on specific monitors such as the Dell U2711 or U3011 which can accept HDMI signals (high speed single-link signals) through their DVI port.

I had thought that electrically, the video signal of HDMI and DVI were the same.  Is that not the casewith dual link?  If I were to have gotten an HDMI to DVI adapter would this have been more likely to work?  Do you have a suggestion for an adapter to use?

Just now, RadSalacan said:

HDMI is based on single-link DVI. It supports higher resolutions by increasing the signaling speed. DVI supports higher resolutions by adding a second set of signaling lines (dual-link) which the single-link HDMI connector does not have pins for.

You can try the one you already ordered to see if it will happen to work with your monitor first though, since true dual-link adapters are pretty expensive.

21 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Yeah, I'll give the one I ordered a try.  If it doesn't I'll probably honestly look into a new monitor if I need to spend that much on a dang adapter.  Thanks for the help.