Astro MixAmp help

Lord Sparklebottom

Am wondring about buying the Astro MixAmp but I am not sure it it will work.

I have a Xonar D2X soundcard and speakers hooked up to it. (only using "front" port)

Will I be able to use the MixAmp with my soundcard?

Thanks

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

No. The MixAmp is connected with an USB cable to your PC. Then you connect your headset to it. 

I aswell think the MixAmp is terrible for the price. You are much better off buying a cheaper Dac/AMP. 
Wich will with easy beat the MixAmp. 

And you have an D2X soundcard wich is perfectly fine.

Why are you thinking about getting something like this? 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

I need something I can use to use the headset and speakers without swapping the cables and buying a crappy splitter

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

It's alright, just leave the speakers plugged into the soundcard, and the MixAmp with USB, and switch audio source, there is a program for setting up a hotkey for it somewhere, don't remember what it's called, will google and try to find it.

EDIT: Soundswitch was the name, http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

It's alright, just leave the speakers plugged into the soundcard, and the MixAmp with USB, and switch audio source, there is a program for setting up a hotkey for it somewhere, don't remember what it's called, will google and try to find it.

EDIT: Soundswitch was the name, http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/

The MixAmp uses a 2,5mm jack,sooo will it still work?

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

The MixAmp uses a 2,5mm jack,sooo will it still work?

what are you talking about? The MixAmp has optical, usb, 3,5mm jacks, and one 2.5 for xBox 360 mic things, or something like that. What I said, maybe a little off, but keep your speakers connected like you do now, but plug in the MixAmp with the USB plug, and then use your headset with the MixAmp, using that program I linked to to swap between sources quickly. May I just ask why you're getting a MixAmp? Also, go into your profile and add at least your country to the info, usually helps us figure out stuff quickly, like amazon stuff and things like that.

Also, I just bought some headphones from Amazon, they ship to me, it just costs a bit, taxes, fees and shipping. the headphones I bought were still cheaper like that compared to buying them here in Norway, lol

I was a bit confused about all the cables... lol

The D2X have no octical port so I will have to use the one on my motherboard :/

I also like all the stuff you can do with the MixAmp. I have the Siberia v2 and want a bit more out of them.

But if there is something else that I should buy that isn't hard to get in Norway just tell me ;)

Plus I want to play on a console I have the stuff to support it!

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

I also like all the stuff you can do with the MixAmp. I have the Siberia v2 and want a bit more out of them.

But if there is something else that I should buy that isn't hard to get in Norway just tell me ;)

Even if your D2X had a optical out it'd be a passtrough, I believe.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Plus I want to play on a console I have the stuff to support it!

You won't be getting "more out of them" at all, the only difference would be that the MixAmp probably has a lower output impedance, so you MIGHT get less bass, although more controlled. So the only real benefit is the console compatibility. There is optical out on the D2X, but it shouldn't sound any different from onboard or whatever else. Also, the Optical is meant for use with consoles, while USB is meant for use with PC.

So, don't buy it and use soundswich only?

EDIT: Don't know what I was writing there...

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

So, don't buy it and use soundswich only?

EDIT: Don't know what I was writing there...

If you wanna use your headset with a console, then it's a great purchase, but if not, I see no point in getting a MixAmp.

But is there then a way to use the headset and speakers both plugged into my soundcard???

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

But is there then a way to use the headset and speakers both plugged into my soundcard???

What kind of speakers are you using? If just stereo, you might be able to get away with just using the rear or side channels for the speakers.

What kind of speakers are you using? If just stereo, you might be able to get away with just using the rear or side channels for the speakers.

They only use the front port, so I guess so...

I use Sony SRS-D8 speakers

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

They only use the front port, so I guess so...

I use Sony SRS-D8 speakers

Wait, why are you only using the front port?

Wait, why are you only using the front port?

The port marked front on the soundcard. no frontpanel, calm down... ;)

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

you don't need to use the soundcard, you can do what I do, and plug in the headphones to the onboard, and use the soundcard for the speakers. With my motherboard, it sounds exactly the same, probably with yours too, but the onboard has jack sensing, so when I disconnect something, it "disables" the device, and then sends audio to the speakers instead, which is the D2X. And when I connect headphones again, it retasks audio to the onboard audio. Pretty nice. Or you could keep both connected at the same time, and use the Sound Switch for fastest and simplest way to do it.