Fans For Define R4

Homicidium

Hey Guys! 

So, I just ordered a Define R4 and I am VERY excited for this, as I've been reading and watching overviews and reviews of this case for such a long time and finally I saved enough money to get one (I'm still a student). 

SInce the case only comes with two fans (140 @ Front; 140 @ Back) I wanted to add at least one fan to the front to improve the airflow. I can't/don't want to use the fans that came with my Corsair 500R because they're (sorry for the strong words) crap and have this weird plug, and the 200mm Side fan (which is only half crap, lol) isn't supported by the R4.

Long story short, which fans should I buy? I heard some good things about the fans that come with the R4, but I'm not a hundred percent sure about them. I gotta say, that I'm quite a picky person and I don't like suprises. So grinding or whiny noises or bad bearings are an absolute no - go for me!

So, to give you some general information, what I am looking for and want, here's a list:

- (Very) good quality

- Silent fans with decent performance (I know, that I can't really have both, but I guess you'll get my idea)

- 140mm (The case supports it, so why not using it?)

- Price: Maximum of 20€ (So, that would be about 27$)

- Should be available in Europe (I live in Germany, and I don't want to import fans) 

- NO LED (Just no)

- Color: Should fit the overall scheme of the case (Black/White, oh and I like the poo poo color scheme of the Noctuas)

I hope you can help me :) 

Cheers und auf Wiedersehen from Germany,

Homicidium

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Im frome Sweden btw

Since you're using these fans: Do they have a regular 3 pin? Because the ones in my Corsair don't, and I really want to avoid cutting everything.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

The best performance and quality is from Noctua.

True, But they are not in the coolor scheme

Notctuna have better air flow and lower noise

They have 3-pin

Okay. :)

I know, that Noctua's are great (using a D14 as my cooling option), but I'm also a type of guy who wants to have reasons on why they are better. So, can you tell why and exactly what they're doing better than the Fractal Design fans? I mean, they're about 7€ more expensive than the Fractal Design ones, and if they just have minor advantages over the Fractals then, why going with Noctua? But I do appreciate, that you dedicated you 666th Post to mean, it means a lot <3 

True, But they are not in the coolor scheme

Notctuna have better air flow and lower noise

Oh, if the performance is a lot better than the any fan in this scheme, then I'm going for it, as I said I already use a Noctua D14 as my Heatsink

In my opinon u shuld go for the fractal just becuse the color

But i dont now how much more the noctuna is better then the fractal

I dont think its much

Do u have a window in youre case?

I have no problem with my fans the have god performance and are very low noise

U just going to improve some air in to the case

Not putting it on a cpu-cooler

I say the fractal shulde do the job just fine

I couldn't care less about the color scheme, when I can get better performance. I would even care if they're neon pink (okay, that's a lie), but are as quiet as the Fractals and deliver like twice as much air or have higher pressure. 

If the Noctua are only like 5% better than the Fractal, I will go for the Fractals because the extra costs aren't just worth it, but if they're like 20 or 30% better than I will come across the thought of switching them out. 

Get the fractals.  They are super quiet and its nice to have all matching fans in your build.

I don't use an R4 but I've built in one for a friend and own an R3. In my honest opinion when putting in a high end system the fractal fans simply do not cut it. If you're running a more basic system(3570 and 1x 660 ti for example) they'll probably be fine but I wouldn't recommend them in a higher end build as they lack static pressure(only applicable for the front fans(look how tight it is in there for airflow!)) and high airflow. The next step would be to get Cougar fans(they come in both 3 and 4 pin flavors) . They can be very silent and have a good noise to performance ratio (same as fractals only they can go louder as they are rated for higher speeds) IF you have some sort of controller for them but are otherwise a good value. Next up would be noctua they are the overall best noise to performance ratio only they look uglier. Throw them anywhere and you'll be fine. For ultimate silence Go with Be quiet! they sacrifice roughly 10% air flow compared to noctua but will perform even more silently and look sexy. However it should be noted you should choose another variety of fan with the be quiets for the front intake for a higher end system as they lack in static pressure.

This is all assuming you're using 140mm fans.

If you're running a more basic system(3570 and 1x 660 ti for example)

I am, I'm running a 3570k @ 4GHz and currently an old HD6850, which will soon be upgraded to a GTX670 probably. So, I guess you can say it's "basic" 

Also I am running a fan controller in my 500R, which will either move to the Fractal or will be replaced by a 6 Channel Lamptron Fan Controller as I am a little disappointed by my current Scythe Kaze Master.

So, you're saying that the Noctua's are the best when it comes to Performance/Noise level? That would be quite good imo. Since their not going to be visible (got the non - windowed version) I couldn't care less about it, and it would my heat sink (already using the D14 from Noctua) 

Any specific choices their? They have quite a number of options there :/

Edit: 

Or would you even recommend going with the Fractal Fans as my system isn't really high end? 

If not, how many Noctua's should I get? Just 3 or should I go all out and put 5 in it (Probably 1x Static Preasure and 4x Air Flow)

Check out BeQuiets SilentWings, Noiseblockers eLoop series, and Noctuas, mayby Corsair SPs

I own a define R4, the standard fans are good enough.

Just buy another fractal fan and you are good to go.

the R2 fans are ok, until the filter is due cleaning or they have to push air

through the HDD cages, so they are not the all to be for the long term.

if you are a maintenance freak, then the R2 fan could be your fan. i've

got ten of them and tried to make my Midi flow with them and they just

are not up to the task. tbh, you need some high static fans for the front

to pull/push air into the case. the filter (clean) and door really tears the

flow rate down.

airdeano

I don't like to clean my filters like every month, maybe once every 3 months. 

Static Preasure probably isn't even needed as I'm going to remove both cages and install my hard drive in a 5.25" Bay with my Scythe HDD Stabilizer, so the fans won't have any restrictions sucking/pulling air inside and through the case. 

But I still would need fans with SP for the front? 

Check out my avatar, it's all in a Define R4. I LOVE Noctua's fans, there are 3 NF-A14's and 2 NF-F12's on the H100i.

What about noise level? Are they noticeable? Do you use a fan controller or is your H100 controlling the fans? 

I'm keen on buying Noctuas, but I want to be like a hundred percent sure, that they're worth the money, and not ending up regreting my choice.

beQuiet!'s are great as well, but it just seems stupid to go for more silence and sacrifising (although not much) performance for the same price of the Noctua's.  

To sum it up for you guys (and myself), the brand that were recommended so far:

beQuiet! Silent Wings

BitFenix Spectr

Corsair SP/AF's

Cougar

Fractal Design Silent R2'S

Noiseblocker eLoop'S

Noctua

Not going for these Cooler Master ones recommended as a friend of mine had multiple failures and weird noises from them, an absolute no - go. 

So far, thank you for your replies guys.

What about noise level? Are they noticeable? Do you use a fan controller or is your H100 controlling the fans? 

I'm keen on buying Noctuas, but I want to be like a hundred percent sure, that they're worth the money, and not ending up regreting my choice.

beQuiet!'s are great as well, but it just seems stupid to go for more silence and sacrifising (although not much) performance for the same price of the Noctua's.  

To sum it up for you guys (and myself), the brand that were recommended so far:

beQuiet! Silent Wings

BitFenix Spectr

Corsair SP/AF's

Cougar

Fractal Design Silent R2'S

Noiseblocker eLoop'S

Noctua

Not going for these Cooler Master ones recommended as a friend of mine had multiple failures and weird noises from them, an absolute no - go. 

So far, thank you for your replies guys.

I use my motherboard's PWM controller. Noctua fans are some of the best performing fans you can get, apart from the really loud fans. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4635/noctua_nf_f12_pwm_focused_flow_cooling_fan_review/index6.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026&Tpk=nf-f12&IsVirtualParent=1