PC turns on for one second and then turns off

Prambler

Hello,

New to the forums here... Joined to get some troubleshooting help.

I have a fairly old PC I built and added components to over the years. A couple days ago while I was watching a video on the PC and it suddenly just went off. Tried powering back on and it didn’t budge. Fast forward to today, I did some long overdue dusting and cleaning of the PC and took most of it apart except for Processor (didn’t have any thermal paste lying around so didn’t want to take the stock intel CPU cooler off) and the RAM. Put it all back together and tried to see if it would post, it turns on for one second and then turns off again. Seems like a bit of an improvement considering it wouldn’t even turn on two days back. Any thoughts?

My PC:
Intel DH67GD motherboard
Intel i5-2400 processor
Corsair Vengeance 2X 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks (not from a kit but same numbers and placed in slots 2 and 4 from the proccy)
MSI Twin Frozr 7870 GPU (2GB)
Corsair 650W PSU
Samsung 250 GB SSD (Primary)
OCZ 120 GB SSD
WD Green 1TB HDD
Some other paraphernalia like a DVD-RW and a fan controller, etc.

I’ve tried removing the GPU and both RAM sticks and it still doesn’t start for more than one second....
I noticed a green light on that I haven’t previously noticed. (See pic)

218-CBB29-08-CB-4-D3-D-9-BBF-124-EDB7-B8

Thank you for taking the time to look at my query!
Prambler.

At a guess, I'd say the green light is just a power indicator to let you know the motherboard is receiving power. Depending how old the power supply is it may just not be able to cope anymore with the demands placed on it when powering up.  

Try going barebones with it. 1 ram stick, only primary drive and use onboard GPU. Disconnect all fans except the cpu fan and see if it boots (probably won't but worth a try). Also double check all power cables are securely connected.

That's as far as I go with suggestions I'm afraid. I'm not overly technical.

10 hours ago, Alltheshots said:

At a guess, I'd say the green light is just a power indicator to let you know the motherboard is receiving power. Depending how old the power supply is it may just not be able to cope anymore with the demands placed on it when powering up.  

Try going barebones with it. 1 ram stick, only primary drive and use onboard GPU. Disconnect all fans except the cpu fan and see if it boots (probably won't but worth a try). Also double check all power cables are securely connected.

That's as far as I go with suggestions I'm afraid. I'm not overly technical.

Thanks for your message. Tried it but no luck. I’m going to try getting a new PSU and see if I have any luck.