setup mayan edms in unraid using docker compose

Hi, I am new to unraid and can't figure out how to install Mayan EDMS to a unraid docker container that gets access to a share.

I am trying to compare mayan edms to paperless project but I can't seem to figure out how to set it up. I tried following this tutorial but I am not sure how to setup a new container that is not apart of a template on unraid.

https://docs.mayan-edms.com/chapters/docker/install_docker_compose.html#docker-compose-install

any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is a "noob" question but I am kinda stumped

• 6 months later...
On 7/20/2020 at 5:11 PM, PurpleCodes said:

I am trying to compare mayan edms to paperless project but I can't seem to figure out how to set it up.

I know this is a little old, but I am doing the exact same thing. I thought I'd list my steps and maybe this will help someone else out later on.

1. Installing Docker Compose

Add the following to /boot/config/go in order to install docker-compose on each boot:

COMPOSE_VERSION=$(curl -s https://api.github.com/repos/docker/compose/releases/latest | grep 'tag_name' | cut -d\" -f4)
curl -L https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/${COMPOSE_VERSION}/docker-compose-`uname -s`-`uname -m` -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/docker-compose

2. Persisting user-defined networks

By default, UnRAID will not persist user-defined Docker networks. You'll need to enable this setting in order to avoid having to re-run docker-compose up -d every time your server is rebooted. It's found in the Settings tab, [Server-IP/Settings/DockerSettings] You'll need to set Advanced View to On and disable the Docker service then Apply to make the change.

Set Preserve user defined networks: Yes

Enable Docker: Yes

Apply

3. Prep for Mayan-EDMS

Connect to Unraid with a SSH terminal or use the WebGUI console terminal

Execute each line:

mkdir /mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms
cd /mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms
curl https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/-/raw/master/docker/docker-compose.yml -O
nano .env

Edit the .env file and add the following:

MAYAN_APP_VOLUME=/mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms/media
MAYAN_REDIS_VOLUME=/mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms/redis
MAYAN_POSTGRES_VOLUME=/mnt/user/appdata/mayan-edms/postgres

To confirm 

cat .env

You will most likely need to edit the docker-compose.yml changing at least the default port number

ports:
      - "80:8000"

To something like

ports:
      - "8002:8000"

4. Launch the Mayan EDMS Docker Compose containers

docker-compose --file docker-compose.yml --project-name mayan up --detach

I have been using Paperless-ng (a fork of the original project) for a few weeks and following its development. There are several promising features in the works (at the time of writing this). Over all Paperless-ng is simple to use and effective at what currently does. That being said its not packed with features like some of the other DMS out there. Mayan-EDMS, there isn't much I can say in comparison to Paperless-ng, seeing how I have had this running for maybe an hour. My initial thoughts are Mayan-EDMS is PACKED with features and customization. However, its all a little bit overwhelming and not as intuitive to setup and just start using like Paperless-ng is. 

Summary

If you're an individual or even a small business like a freelancer / one-person-show, Paperless-ng is probably a good choose for you. If you're a bigger operation and need features like multi-user environment with roles and permissions, document versioning, digital signatures, collaboration tools, then Mayan-EDMS or maybe another DMS is probably better suited for you.

If you're interested in the history of Mayan-EDMS and its creator then this is a good watch YouTube: FLOSS Weekly 253: Mayan EDMS