Motherboard issues

RewnHazel

Budget (including currency): Motherboard for under $200 US All the other parts have shipped

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: WoW, FFXIV, eventually Diablo 4 Baldur's Gate

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 
Hey

So I decided to build a new tower. Problem is I'm struggling to find a motherboard. I was going with the MSI Pro B450, but it looks like that will take some time before it will even ship.

Also I keep getting these notes

"The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard."

"The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled."

Is there another motherboard out that that will work better for my build?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, RewnHazel said:

"The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard."

This will be the case with any motherboard you get. The cooler master cooler mounts differently than the stock AMD coolers, so you have to use a mounting adapter for it to work. Not to worry though as the mounting adapter should come with the cooler, and it's not that hard to put on.

"The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled."

I'm not sure if this would be the case with other motherboards, but as long as the board has at least three SATA ports, you should be fine. It looks like you're only planning on using one SATA hard drive.

Is there another motherboard out that that will work better for my build?

There might be, but good luck finding one right now. Most places are either sold out, or selling the ones they have for ridiculously high prices due to the high demand and low supply.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

9 minutes ago, RewnHazel said:

All motherboards are like that. When you have a drive in the m.2 slot, it will disable certain SATA ports (which port depends on which motherboard you have) but B450 usually have 6 sata ports, so it will be fine as long as you dont plan on using more than 6 sata drives.

For recommendations, take a look at the motherboard tier list in my signature. These are some of the good models:

• MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • MSI B450 Mortar (Max or not)
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

5 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

All motherboards are like that. When you have a drive in the m.2 slot, it will disable certain SATA ports (which port depends on which motherboard you have) but B450 usually have 6 sata ports, so it will be fine as long as you dont plan on using more than 6 sata drives.

For recommendations, take a look at the motherboard tier list in my signature. These are some of the good models:

• MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro

MR moose is correct unless you are using high end chip and board like threadripper ect, using m.2 in certain slots will disable a sata port or 2.

Most of the time for b450 your board will have 2 m.2 and only one will cause this. 

4 minutes ago, sgteaglefort said:

MR moose is correct unless you are using high end chip and board like threadripper ect, using m.2 in certain slots will disable a sata port or 2.

X370, x470 and x570 boards do not disable anything.

Anyway, why does OP pay $150 for a 860 EVO when the MX500 or even the SX8200 Pro is cheaper? Any why do people still buy Hyper 212 in 2020?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

14 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

• MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro

I will take a look at that list.

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i would go with one of these motherboards:

I will check out those options as well. I'm wasn't thrilled about having to get an adapter since it seems like there may be some supply issues.

Thanks everyone

5 minutes ago, RewnHazel said:

I'm wasn't thrilled about having to get an adapter since it seems like there may be some supply issues.

The adapter for that cooler should come with it.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked