Low FPS and Stuttering in Desktop Apps

So I got davinci resolve to make a quick montage and I noticed that the app was running at a really low fps. I'm not taking about the video playback in the timeline but rather that the app itself was running at a low fps and was stuttering. The refresh rate counter on my monitor (which is synced to the fps) shows resolve is running at anywhere from 40 to 3 fps. This is when I'm not playing back the timeline and just editing. When I'm playing back the timeline the fps goes up to 60 as that the frame rate of the video I am editing. The transition is not smooth but it does get to 60. In most apps like chrome my refresh rate counter stays locked at 144. I don't know why resolve is doing this but it is making the software pretty much unusable from the stutter. I have the same problem in handbrake as well. I used to have this problem in spotify but the solution to that was disabling hardware acceleration in the app. This doesn't seem like a valid solution for resolve though, if its even possible. 

My specs are as follows

Ryzen 7 1800x

GTX 1060 6gb

16 gb of 3133 ram

Thanks for any help