Is it worth going from Lenovo Explorer to Rift S?

Worth going from Lenovo Explorer to Rift S  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Worth it?

• Yes
    • No

I have Lenovo Explorer which worked fine on my old 3770K / 980ti rig, But now that I built a new main right with a Ryzen 9 3900X / 2080ti I was looking into an upgrade. The only problem is my living arrangements make "lighthouses" problematic so I was looking to stay with Inside out tracking for the time being.  
I like my Explorer but some little things are starting to bug me like some what lacking support from game devs and the limited controller tracking zone making games that need to draw things from your back or sides a bit of a buggy mess. So I was looking at the Rift S, but at almost $500/usd atm is it worth replacing my Explorer with one?

I have been hearing that Oculus has been kind of sweeping the S under the rug in terms of support and software improvements

I'd take a look at the HP Reverb G2 before getting a Rift S at this point. Especially since you'll have the power to push the dual 2160x2160 screens which is a huge visual improvement.

It will have a physical IPD adjustment and new 4 camera tracking with redesigned controllers as well.

Should start shipping in the fall to get some reviews.

16 hours ago, trufret said:

I'd take a look at the HP Reverb G2 before getting a Rift S at this point. Especially since you'll have the power to push the dual 2160x2160 screens which is a huge visual improvement.

It will have a physical IPD adjustment and new 4 camera tracking with redesigned controllers as well.

Should start shipping in the fall to get some reviews.

Looking at the Reverb G2, It might help the tracking but it's still a WMR set which runs into the same Dev support issues as what I have now 

As long as the game was designed to work with SteamVR is should work with the WMR headsets.

The new controller layout should have button parity with oculus controllers making button mapping a lot easier than the old WMR controllers.

As always, wait for launch reviews