Could it be my PSU that is causing my PC to crash after like 30-40 minutes

Respond_

Alright so originally I thought it was the CPU, as I had previously overclocked it (check my other thread if u need more info) but after updating BIOS and setting everything to default I am still getting this dumb crash and now i realise its not just idle.

What happens:

I will be either watching youtube/playing a game and then after around 30-40 minutes sometimes longer sometimes little bit less time my PC will freeze up hang

andfor a brief period the sound will continue if for example i was watching a youtube video.

as well as the the image on screen still stay

however it is frozen still and after leaving it for 15 minutes before nothing changed it was still stuck and frozen.

I originally thought it was CPU or GPU because I had some problems overclocking in the past, but also had a very long time where the overclock was fine (like several months) and then this problem started happening recently despite me not changing anything on CPU / GPU side.

The PSU itself is like 6/5/7 (idk) exactly years old so it's probably that to be honest

Here are my PC specs:

cpu: i5 8600k 

ram: 16gb ddr4 2133 (as not overclocked anymore / 3200 when)

asrock z370m pro4 cpu (updated bios to see if that was problem still got problem)

gpu: gtx 1080 msi (not artificating etc good temps 60ish when playing game)

also got good ish temps when gaming cpu wise like 50-70 degrees (70 when overclocked )

motherboard temps seem fine although i cant see VRM but that might be the motherboard itself im unsure either way on HWINFO64 the motherboard temp stays like 40-50 degrees idk if that is good or bad 

You're suspecting it's the PSU yet you don't say what model it is lol...

What PSU?

Ddu the drivers

Clear the cmos and use memtest86 to make sure it's not a memory problem. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

You're suspecting it's the PSU yet you don't say what model it is lol...

What PSU?

Ddu the drivers

Clear the cmos and use memtest86 to make sure it's not a memory problem. 

The PSU is Corsair CX600 , I've ddu fresh install of GPU drivers I will now run memtest86 and after that do CMOS thank you for suggestions sorry I am a bit dumb lol

6 minutes ago, Respond_ said:

The PSU is Corsair CX600

The green label cx.. that's a subpart unit today. Replacing would definitely be good. 

Is it the cause? Maybe and maybe not. But it's possible. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

47 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

The green label cx.. that's a subpart unit today. Replacing would definitely be good. 

Is it the cause? Maybe and maybe not. But it's possible. 

Ran memtest for 40 mins now and no errors also my pc has not cut out during the test which is good going to keep going for a bit longer 

15 minutes ago, Respond_ said:

good going to keep going for a bit longer 

Run memtest for longer than 40 min. 

Try stressing the card and check if it crashes. If it does try lowering the power limit. 

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Run memtest for longer than 40 min. 

Try stressing the card and check if it crashes. If it does try lowering the power limit. 

Alright about an hour and no memtest errors, im gonna go ahead and try stress the card and then if not do the cmos thing? 

and maybe go and run memtest again if u think 1 hour was no enough 

8 minutes ago, Respond_ said:

stress the card and then if not do the cmos thing? 

Clear the cmos and then run a stress test. 

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

Clear the cmos and then run a stress test. 

Alright I took the CMOS battery out and gave it a while and put it back in was then greeted with bios setup having to enter date and time.

I used a game benchmark as my first stress test, this was Hitman 2 cpu usage was at 99-100% majority of time with a couple dips to 96% usage (rivertuner) and then as soon as the benchmark finished its first loop (i put it on endless mode) and showed results it crashed now im guessing the cpu usage went down as the benchmark was over so the crash it tied to that im gonna run some more such as PRIME, CINEBENCH and HAVEN at this point in time my PC is running at stock settings both GPU , CPU and ram

1 minute ago, Respond_ said:

my PC is running at stock settings both GPU , CPU and ram

If it crashes again try setting the power limit to something lower. If its fixed it's almost certainly the PSU. 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If it crashes again try setting the power limit to something lower. If its fixed it's almost certainly the PSU. 

Okay I lowered GPU power limit in msi after burner but to lower CPU and RAM power usage do I just decrease the voltage? because they were already running at stock and I was still getting crashes , also this crash shit started happening out of the blue although prior I had crashes when I was learning to overclock but thats all and I fixed those by adding more voltage 

1 minute ago, Respond_ said:

Okay I lowered GPU power limit in msi after burner

That should be good enough. Try stressing it. 

Build Log: 

31 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

That should be good enough. Try stressing it. 

40 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Nope, still crashes this time the crash was like 30minutes into PC being on while I was idle after just typing a lot into discord.

GPU was at 50% power limit on Msi after burner

im probably gonna buy a new powersupply anyway as this one is old so if u have any other suggestions ill try them and if not hope new psu fixes it

Just now, Respond_ said:

Could be the PSU. 

If non of the above fixed. Then it could be the PSU. Either way am upgrade is definitely advised considering the green label is subpart at best. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Could be the PSU. 

If non of the above fixed. Then it could be the PSU. Either way am upgrade is definitely advised considering the green label is subpart at best. 

thank you for all the suggestions and patience I'm going to look at the PSU megathread and reviews and purchase one anyway and if it turns out this wasnt the problem i might be back lol :) to try and troubleshoot other parts, but a new psu is a good purchase anyway it seems even if it isnt the problem thx thx thx :D 

2 hours ago, Respond_ said:

Nope, still crashes this time the crash was like 30minutes into PC being on while I was idle after just typing a lot into discord.

im probably gonna buy a new powersupply anyway as this one is old so if u have any other suggestions ill try them and if not hope new psu fixes it

I had a very similar problem with my brand new rmx850. Had to return it sadly. It would crash 15 mins into stress tests no matter what I did

You're running an $800 graphics card on a 10 year old entry level PSU???