Lapping a cpu

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

The entire point of lapping the IHS plate on a Ryzen cpu would be to eliminate the concave area of the plate. 

When you lap the cooler as well, you have 2 matching mating surfaces which allows the use of minimal amount of thermal interface material. This can sometimes help a little with temps by just a couple few degree.

Delidding doesn't seem to do much of anything. There's a few variables to look at actually.

My HTPC has a delidded 2700x. The temps look practically unchanged. Still using the IHS plate with TIM in place of the solder and still using the stock cooler. Temps might be 5c hotter at best. 

All the heat generated by Ryzen processors is from sheer transistor density. There's no cure for the heat and heat spikes that's created.

I just watched Linus's video of lapping his 9900k, I tried looking for ryzen cpu lapping, so far I've found none. 

Is it because Ryzen doesn't need it or is it impossible to do a lapping of a Ryzen? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

From what I understand, de lidding Zen almost never offers any improvement over how it came from the factory and in the vast majority of cases makes things worse.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I just watched Linus's video of lapping his 9900k, I tried looking for ryzen cpu lapping, so far I've found none. 

Is it because Ryzen doesn't need it or is it impossible to do a lapping of a Ryzen? 

Ryzen is soldered already so there is no point in delidding as it can't get any better than that.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

From what I understand, de lidding Zen almost never offers any improvement over how it came from the factory and in the vast majority of cases makes things worse.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ryzen is soldered already so there is no point in delidding as it can't get any better than that.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Zen uses very good solder so altering it usually makes things worse.

I see thank for the knowledge guys 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

The entire point of lapping the IHS plate on a Ryzen cpu would be to eliminate the concave area of the plate. 

When you lap the cooler as well, you have 2 matching mating surfaces which allows the use of minimal amount of thermal interface material. This can sometimes help a little with temps by just a couple few degree.

Delidding doesn't seem to do much of anything. There's a few variables to look at actually.

My HTPC has a delidded 2700x. The temps look practically unchanged. Still using the IHS plate with TIM in place of the solder and still using the stock cooler. Temps might be 5c hotter at best. 

All the heat generated by Ryzen processors is from sheer transistor density. There's no cure for the heat and heat spikes that's created.