How do I know which physical drive ada1 refers to in FreeNAS?

So you have some context.

I have a pool of three identical small drives (2tb), I am going to expand my storage by removing one drive at a time and replacing that drive with a 14tb drive.  The pool will resilver itself, and then I will replace the next drive.  When all three are replaced it will resilver itself and then go poof into a 28tb pool, instead of a 4tb pool (give or take a few) - at least according to the world wide web and the manual - to a certain extent.

My issue is this, looking at the manual, it has a process for removing a 'failed' drive, which is to right click on it and do 'replace' and then physically replace that drive.

My drives are are all named within FreeNAS: "ada1, ada3, ada5".

So if I click on ada1 and choose replace...how do I know which one of the drives that is in my machine?  They are all identical, same brand, size etc.  Is there a way to identify the drive somehow? To gather a bit more info, like the serial number of the drive so that I can know which one it is in FreeNAS and know which one I clicked 'replace' on and therefore replace that drive, rather than the wrong one?

I am doing a replication task at the moment and finding it a bit difficult to move around within FreeNAS and do anything - so unable to just tinker til I find something which is the usual way I find things out.

If no-one knows (or no-one who sees this post and can be bothered to reply knows the answer) I will have a tinker this evening when the replication process is complete and if I find an answer will post it for anyone doing this in the future.

Open up shell and try the below command. It should list details about the disks and I think should have the serial number. 

geom disk list

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

43 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Open up shell and try the below command. It should list details about the disks and I think should have the serial number. 

geom disk list

Thank you, not sure any amount of tinkering would have found that.  Does appear to give a number of numerical values as an ID, hopefully one will allow me to identify the disk I have 'replaced'

On 7/14/2020 at 5:44 AM, Dravinian said:

-snip-

To avoid this issue in this issue in the future, i would recommend reading Book 7 in the IT mastery series by Lucas/Jude. There is a very good description in there on how to name drives.