Windows Install Failing after Upgrade

PrankishTrac

Hello! I recently upgraded my storage drive from a Samsung SSD to Mushkin Pilot nVME drive, the install went smoothly with no damage to the system. I plan on making this the only drive for the system as my storage needs are quite small. I have always kept this USB thumb drive around just in-case I needed to repair my copy of windows, however it also comes in handy when installing a fresh copy. Upon device boot I got no video signal. I then proceed to unseat and re-seat the graphics card, that seemed to do the trick till I got to the windows installer when I encountered error (0x8007025D), after doing some quick google searching I found some trouble shooting steps. Including removing all USB devices and possibly a bad stick of RAM. After doing all those steps, except for obvious reasons removing the USB thumb stick and keyboard, the problem still persists. At my current point of troubleshooting I have 1 16Gb RAM stick out of the system as well as all NON-ESSENTIAL USB devices unplugged.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? My next step I'm going to try is creating a New Windows ISO on a NEW thumb drive as I already have on my current one multiple times. Its a bit late where I am though and am going to head to bed. If anybody got any suggestions I'm all ears, especially if I don't have to spend on money on a new external USB stick.

Thanks and Goodnight,
Trevor (aka. Prankish)

49 minutes ago, PrankishTrac said:

Hello! I recently upgraded my storage drive from a Samsung SSD to Mushkin Pilot nVME drive, the install went smoothly with no damage to the system. I plan on making this the only drive for the system as my storage needs are quite small. I have always kept this USB thumb drive around just in-case I needed to repair my copy of windows, however it also comes in handy when installing a fresh copy. Upon device boot I got no video signal. I then proceed to unseat and re-seat the graphics card, that seemed to do the trick till I got to the windows installer when I encountered error (0x8007025D), after doing some quick google searching I found some trouble shooting steps. Including removing all USB devices and possibly a bad stick of RAM. After doing all those steps, except for obvious reasons removing the USB thumb stick and keyboard, the problem still persists. At my current point of troubleshooting I have 1 16Gb RAM stick out of the system as well as all NON-ESSENTIAL USB devices unplugged.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? My next step I'm going to try is creating a New Windows ISO on a NEW thumb drive as I already have on my current one multiple times. Its a bit late where I am though and am going to head to bed. If anybody got any suggestions I'm all ears, especially if I don't have to spend on money on a new external USB stick.

Thanks and Goodnight,
Trevor (aka. Prankish)

That error normally means either the HDD didn't format correctly or the files on the USB drive are corrupted.

Recreating the USB using the Media Creation Tool won't hurt, it will eliminate the USB drive as the issue and get you the latest version of Windows.

Its a good idea to physically unplug/disconnect all other drives except the SSD you want Windows on (this is important as later on you might format the wrong drive unless you do this).

Its possible you have your BIOS incorrectly configured which is making Windows format the drive incorrectly for you system. Head into UEFI and make sure that CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is Disabled.

After that boot from the installer and follow the setup wizard through to the partition screen. Press Shift + F10 to open up Command Prompt, type in "diskpart" and hit enter, type in "select disk 0" and hit enter (this is why you need to unplug other drives, so we can be 100% sure the SSD is disk 0), type in "clean" and hit enter, close the command prompt window and then click Next on the install wizard. DO NOT manually partition or format anything, just click next and Windows will auto partition and format the drive for you in the correct format.

Once Windows is installed you can reconnect your other drives.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Interesting development, It would seem that after the computer is left turned off for several minutes it won't boot into the OS until I remove one RAM stick (or add it back). I set my BIOS back to default, still didn't help I'm gonna go get a new USB stick and download the installer on that. Is it possible for the windows 10 media installer to download fine but then when it needs to install a version of windows it gives up? any data experts here?

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

That error normally means either the HDD didn't format correctly or the files on the USB drive are corrupted.

Recreating the USB using the Media Creation Tool won't hurt, it will eliminate the USB drive as the issue and get you the latest version of Windows.

Its a good idea to physically unplug/disconnect all other drives except the SSD you want Windows on (this is important as later on you might format the wrong drive unless you do this).

Its possible you have your BIOS incorrectly configured which is making Windows format the drive incorrectly for you system. Head into UEFI and make sure that CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is Disabled.

After that boot from the installer and follow the setup wizard through to the partition screen. Press Shift + F10 to open up Command Prompt, type in "diskpart" and hit enter, type in "select disk 0" and hit enter (this is why you need to unplug other drives, so we can be 100% sure the SSD is disk 0), type in "clean" and hit enter, close the command prompt window and then click Next on the install wizard. DO NOT manually partition or format anything, just click next and Windows will auto partition and format the drive for you in the correct format.

Once Windows is installed you can reconnect your other drives.

Looked through the BIOS CSM has been disabled since I started. I really hope it is just a bad USB stick the weird thing is, the installer installs its self just fine, no error no nothing.

Well, it would appear that Windows is being installed. Thanks for all the help! Also if anybody has some answers for my previous questions I am still kinda curious.

Edit: A new USB thumb stick was the solution for anyone that runs into this problem and has tried all the other troubleshooting steps.