Lifespan of a Corsair HX850?

Anarchyz11

Hey gang.

Long story short I'm looking to upgrade my system (albeit carrying over the GPU) and am wondering if I should bother replacing my PSU.  If I had a <$100 unit I'd probably replace it and not think twice, but I have a 5 year old Corsair HX850, which I know is likely higher end at least for consumer PCs.  Do you guys think I need to replace it, or should it be fine to carry over to a new system?  It's not showing any signs of dying.

Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-hx-series-hx850-850w/p/N82E16817139011

my psu is working from 2008 flawlessly

BTW i have another similar PSU in another pc "Just in case" to swap it 

Guaranteed to die 1 week after the warranty is up.
jk, its probably fine if its still running fine, power supply when failing will tend fail spectacularly (mostly the cheap ones) or will partially fail and put out dirty power causing some crashes and other niche issues. 

Power supplies generally last a long time, especially high quality ones from the likes of Corsair. If you're really concerned about it, you can crack it open and check the capacitors, that'll probably be the only visual indicator you could find to evaluate the health of the supply. In addition, don't some EVGA power supplies come with like 8 year warranties?

ASU

Only 5 years old?

3 hours ago, Anarchyz11 said:

Hey gang.

Long story short I'm looking to upgrade my system (albeit carrying over the GPU) and am wondering if I should bother replacing my PSU.  If I had a <$100 unit I'd probably replace it and not think twice, but I have a 5 year old Corsair HX850, which I know is likely higher end at least for consumer PCs.  Do you guys think I need to replace it, or should it be fine to carry over to a new system?  It's not showing any signs of dying.

Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-hx-series-hx850-850w/p/N82E16817139011

It'll last. My bargain-tier CX600 is going strong for

7 years (in all it's groupreg glory). the HX is meant to last this long

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan, for we will tell you, 

what will become, of that, which you have earned

Just for reference,  most decent PSUs come with a 10 year warranty now,  including the corsair range.    You will be absolutely fine to move this into your new system.

The worst case is that it dies one day,  and you have to ring around to local PC stores to find a new PSU.  Chances of that are really slim;  not much higher than the chance of a brand new PSU going belly up.   In which case you'd have to deal with warranty RMA,  and your PC would be down for more than just a few hours.