Coil Buzz, Grey Screen Of Death And General Un-happiness :i

WikoSiko
Go to solution Solved by WikoSiko,

UPDATE: After installing a 7950 I found the GPU to be the issue. BUT I still have to OpenCL error in GPU-Z.

Any ideas why?

Ok so I saw Linus's video about this forum and thought I would give it a try seeing as everywhere else was no help.

I just recently built a new system and have been having on going probelms.

For the first few weeks I had no real issues just a bit of Coil Whine/Buzz from PSU (I think). But after another few weeks I began getting Grey Screen's of death.

My System is as followed:

CASE: NZXT Phantom 820
MOBO: Asus Maximus V Extreme (Extra Power is not Plugged in for either GPU or CPU)
GPU: HIS Radeon 7970 (With an underclocked to 900/1350 (Core/Memory)
CPU Fan: Stock
RAM: 8 GB's Corsair Vengeance 1333 MHz(Blue)
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 256GB's
PSU: OCZ ZX 1250Watt

post-17217-0-90802900-1367391987.gif

Now to explain the issues:

Coil Whine/Buzz
Can be hear when system is on if you are very close to the PSU, But once a game reaches ~100 FPS the whine becomes rather noticeable. Not to bothered by this but still annoying. Do NOTE this only occurs when the GPU is plugged in otherwise it is not hear at all).

Grey Screen of Death (GSOD)
Occurs when: I use YouTube, Gaming and even occasionally when I turn on windows. Before the issue I see multiple artifacts on the screen (White blotches, Blurs, Small Red and Clue lines ect). I have found some temp solutions e.g. Underclocking (gives me a good 2-3 hours gaming), Unplugging the GPU and using built in graphics and not to game at all...... Which is not a good option.

Now I have done a huge list of things which I will go through now:

• Installed multiple different drivers everything from 13.1 onward (Using DriverSweeper and the Official uninstaller from AMD, NO IMPROVEMENT did give a good 2 days of solid gaming).
  • Disabled ULPS (Causes even more issues and quicker GSOD and random hangs).
  • Used MSI Afterburner to lower clocks to something decent yet usable (Yet again only temp remedy).
  • Used MSI Afterburner to force constant voltage (Results Same as before).
  • Tested most of my components on their own (CPU, RAM, PSU).
  • GOTTEN A REPLACEMENT CARD to see if it would fix the coil buzz but new card did not remedy.
  • Un-Overclocked my CPU from 3.9 to 3.5 as it was auto overclocked by my board.
  • And more that I cannot think of.

Things I have not done:

• Tested GPU in another system.
  • Tested a different PSU on my system.
  • Tested my PSU on a different system.
  • Re-installed windows (Cause screw that x.x).
  • Tested for GSOD in Safe Mode.(Could not due to no GPU drivers).

NOTE: All these should be tested in a week or so when I build another system.

Things I can tell you about the issue:

• It occurs only when the GPU is installed and powered.
  • Amd Drivers crash when it occurs, "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
  • OCCT log shows some interesting things about the crash See image below:

post-17217-0-60215200-1367391989.png

• When opening GPU-Z I always get this error:

post-17217-0-41462400-1367391991.png

And yeah thats about is if you need any further information I will get back to you as soon as possible,
Thank You.

post-17217-0-90802900-1367391987.gif

post-17217-0-60215200-1367391989.png

post-17217-0-41462400-1367391991.png

Ok so I saw Linus's video about this forum and thought I would give it a try seeing as everywhere else was no help.

I just recently built a new system and have been having on going probelms.

For the first few weeks I had no real issues just a bit of Coil Whine/Buzz from PSU (I think). But after another few weeks I began getting Grey Screen's of death.

My System is as followed:

CASE: NZXT Phantom 820

MOBO: Asus Maximus V Extreme (Extra Power is not Plugged in for either GPU or CPU)

GPU: HIS Radeon 7970 (With an underclocked to 900/1350 (Core/Memory)

CPU Fan: Stock

RAM: 8 GB's Corsair Vengeance 1333 MHz(Blue)

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz

SSD: Samsung 840 Series 256GB's

PSU: OCZ ZX 1250Watt

attachicon.gif1.gif

Now to explain the issues:

Coil Whine/Buzz

Can be hear when system is on if you are very close to the PSU, But once a game reaches ~100 FPS the whine becomes rather noticeable. Not to bothered by this but still annoying. Do NOTE this only occurs when the GPU is plugged in otherwise it is not hear at all).

Grey Screen of Death (GSOD)

Occurs when: I use YouTube, Gaming and even occasionally when I turn on windows. Before the issue I see multiple artifacts on the screen (White blotches, Blurs, Small Red and Clue lines ect). I have found some temp solutions e.g. Underclocking (gives me a good 2-3 hours gaming), Unplugging the GPU and using built in graphics and not to game at all...... Which is not a good option.

Now I have done a huge list of things which I will go through now:

• Installed multiple different drivers everything from 13.1 onward (Using DriverSweeper and the Official uninstaller from AMD, NO IMPROVEMENT did give a good 2 days of solid gaming).
  • Disabled ULPS (Causes even more issues and quicker GSOD and random hangs).
  • Used MSI Afterburner to lower clocks to something decent yet usable (Yet again only temp remedy).
  • Used MSI Afterburner to force constant voltage (Results Same as before).
  • Tested most of my components on their own (CPU, RAM, PSU).
  • GOTTEN A REPLACEMENT CARD to see if it would fix the coil buzz but new card did not remedy.
  • Un-Overclocked my CPU from 3.9 to 3.5 as it was auto overclocked by my board.
  • And more that I cannot think of.

Things I have not done:

• Tested GPU in another system.
  • Tested a different PSU on my system.
  • Tested my PSU on a different system.
  • Re-installed windows (Cause screw that x.x).
  • Tested for GSOD in Safe Mode.(Could not due to no GPU drivers).

NOTE: All these should be tested in a week or so when I build another system.

Things I can tell you about the issue:

• It occurs only when the GPU is installed and powered.
  • Amd Drivers crash when it occurs, "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
  • OCCT log shows some interesting things about the crash See image below:

attachicon.gif2013-04-01-19h01-Voltage-AVCC.png

• When opening GPU-Z I always get this error:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

And yeah thats about is if you need any further information I will get back to you as soon as possible,

Thank You.

For your coil Buzz/Whine issue, i would recommend testing your PSU in another system, and if the "Buzz/Whine" continues you should RMA your PSU.

for your GPU Problem, try and see if a bitcoin miner will detect your card (because it uses openCL), and if that doesn't detect it report back with your results.

- Matt

My build: i5 3570k @ Stock // Arctic Freezer i30 CPU Cooler // 7970 3GB @ 1000MHz Core 1500Mhz Memory // 8GB RAM @ 1333MHz // WD Caviar Black 1TB // WD Caviar Blue 1TB // Corsair 300R

Yeah that was one thing I forgot to add, Seeing as I was going to get 2 more 7970's or 3 and make this comp a miner.

It error's as expected:

post-17217-0-78825100-1367399091.png

As for the testing I should have a system to mix and match withing a week.

post-17217-0-78825100-1367399091.png

Yeah that was one thing I forgot to add, Seeing as I was going to get 2 more 7970's or 3 and make this comp a miner.

It error's as expected:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

As for the testing I should have a system to mix and match withing a week.

1. Uninstall any AMD Stream SDK you have right now.

2. Delete amdocl.dll and opencl.dll from C:\windows\system32 and C:\windows\Syswow64.

3. Reinstall the AMD Stream SDK you have.

4. Check to make sure the amdocl.dll and opencl.dll files you just deleted have not come back.

5. Check in C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86 and C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64 to make sure the files are there in that location instead. This is where they should be.

6. Try using GPU-z to see if there is a tickmark next to OpenCL. If there is, all should be well,

My build: i5 3570k @ Stock // Arctic Freezer i30 CPU Cooler // 7970 3GB @ 1000MHz Core 1500Mhz Memory // 8GB RAM @ 1333MHz // WD Caviar Black 1TB // WD Caviar Blue 1TB // Corsair 300R

Yet again another thing I have already tried, But with the release of the new AMD 13.4 drivers is there also a new AMD Stream SDK?

Yet again another thing I have already tried, But with the release of the new AMD 13.4 drivers is there also a new AMD Stream SDK?

Uninstall all drivers first,

then run the MSI Tool (by microsoft) (http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/MSI-cleanup-utility-3889c8db) and remove the openCL installation/files. since CCleaner & drive sweeper dont remove all openCL drivers, there may be traces of old ones left behind.

Restart/Reboot then,

Reinstall the 13.4 drivers from AMD (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx)

And see if that fixes your issue.

Now what exactly do you want me to remove with this tool? As OpenCL is not on that list.

Also interesting thing to note is I do not have AMD Stream SDK installed on my system. :wacko:

did you tick a box that says "install SDK drivers" or something during your Driver install?

Nope, It's not been installed the only AMD thing I've installed is the standard 13.4 drivers from AMD.

the coil whine is a standard thing with reference 7900 series cards as for the grey screen i would remove the card and try using built in m/board graphics and see if it's still the same if not its's a graphics card issue if not it could be a psu problem of some sort

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

Not to sound like a wet blanket :unsure:, but I already stated in my post the I have replaced my card once already and that when it is removed there are no issues.

As for the PSU I still need to test it with another.

did you try a different outlet in a diffrent room to power your rig? i had a friend with similar problems and in the end the stupid outlet just coudn't handle the power, could even be a faulty "multible socket-outlet"

I've tried multiple sockets and different power boards, I've even tried completely different houses >.< Still the error persists. I'm more then %90 sure that it is my PSU.

UPDATE: After installing a 7950 I found the GPU to be the issue. BUT I still have to OpenCL error in GPU-Z.

Any ideas why?