Will I need cable extensions for this build?

seoul-
So this is my first ever PC build I have been planning/picking parts for, for the last few months. I will be mainly gaming the occasional Netflix/browing/spotify. I know the Motherboard is an mAtx mobo which means it might look stupid but from what I see it won't make much of a difference, let me know if you agree in the comments or if you think I should go for an mAtx case, if so leave some recommendations. I picked the P400A because it seems like a solid case which has 3 fans so I won't need to buy extra fans which is convenient. Someone told me I will need cable extensions since the cables won't reach due to it being an matx in atx case. Is this true?
[PCPartPicker Part List](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8jVZYH)

Just now, it_dont_work said:

no that would be complete crap, you won't need extensions 

How can I be sure of this though? Its hard to decide as I don't want to be ready to build and run into another wall and have to order them. I can't seem to find much online about this so it's really pissing me off. I will more than likely have to get an mAtx case or just get the Tomahawk

it's an atx standard, the 24pin is basically in an identify spot on 90% of motherboards, psu cables are pretty long, it's not economic to sell something that wont fit most use cases. 

I'd honestly question who ever gave you that advice. 

EDIT: to be clearer, the 24pin will be in an identical place in a full tower weather you install an matx or atx board. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

You might need one for the 8 pin cpu. Just depends on how long the Corsair 8 pin cable is and whether it will reach when routed behind the motherboard tray. Build it first and see. Worst case scenario is you have to route it directly (Across the front of the board). If so then buy an extension later.

Also as mentioned above, the 24 pin (And 8 pin) are in the same place so that is a non issue. If it won't reach on a mATX board then it wouldn't reach on an ATX board either. 

23 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You might need one for the 8 pin cpu. Just depends on how long the Corsair 8 pin cable is and whether it will reach when routed behind the motherboard tray. Build it first and see. Worst case scenario is you have to route it directly (Across the front of the board). If so then buy an extension later.

Also as mentioned above, the 24 pin (And 8 pin) are in the same place so that is a non issue. If it won't reach on a mATX board then it wouldn't reach on an ATX board either. 

Oh so the CPU is the issue then? Or do you mean the PSU might not reach the CPU, sorry hard to understand especially when I am new to all of this. Will it even be an issue in the end? It's so stressful not knowing if I should go through with this or not lmao cuz I am desperate to build one yet all this seems like extra work which they dont really seem to cover in building vids since most dont build matx cases in atx mobos.

2 hours ago, seoul- said:

Oh so the CPU is the issue then? Or do you mean the PSU might not reach the CPU, sorry hard to understand especially when I am new to all of this. Will it even be an issue in the end? It's so stressful not knowing if I should go through with this or not lmao cuz I am desperate to build one yet all this seems like extra work which they dont really seem to cover in building vids since most dont build matx cases in atx mobos.

The cpu cable might not reach, but it just depends on how long the cable is that comes out of the psu.

So if you look at this crudely done pic, the Blue box represents the psu, and the red line is how you would usually route the cable behind the motherboard tray. If you routed it across the front of the board then it would represent the green line but it doesn't look as nice.

cpu cable.jpg

25 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The cpu cable might not reach, but it just depends on how long the cable is that comes out of the psu.

So if you look at this crudely done pic, the Blue box represents the psu, and the red line is how you would usually route the cable behind the motherboard tray. If you routed it across the front of the board then it would represent the green line but it doesn't look as nice.

cpu cable.jpg

Oh alright that makes more sense, I was researching trying to find how long the cable would be and found this manual which shows the 550w dimensions if you scroll down a bit. It also says about the PSU form factor is ATX, is this related to the motherboard or case? I presume it means the case so there shouldnt be any issues since its an mAtx board right? Here's the manual lmk which cable it is since there are tons of them and tbh I have no clue which each meant thanks https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/TXM_Manual.pdf

5 hours ago, seoul- said:

Oh alright that makes more sense, I was researching trying to find how long the cable would be and found this manual which shows the 550w dimensions if you scroll down a bit. It also says about the PSU form factor is ATX, is this related to the motherboard or case? I presume it means the case so there shouldnt be any issues since its an mAtx board right? Here's the manual lmk which cable it is since there are tons of them and tbh I have no clue which each meant thanks https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/TXM_Manual.pdf

The cpu cable is listed as being 650mm long on that Corsair link. The Phanteks P400A is listed as 465mm high (Tall) on Phanteks website, so you should hopefully have enough cable length to reach.

The psu form factor is the dimension of the psu. So an ATX psu will fit in a case that takes an ATX size unit (Unless it states a max length, as some can be 180mm+). Some smaller ITX or HTPC cases might need a smaller SFX size unit as ATX would be too big to fit.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:29 AM, lee32uk said:

The cpu cable is listed as being 650mm long on that Corsair link. The Phanteks P400A is listed as 465mm high (Tall) on Phanteks website, so you should hopefully have enough cable length to reach.

The psu form factor is the dimension of the psu. So an ATX psu will fit in a case that takes an ATX size unit (Unless it states a max length, as some can be 180mm+). Some smaller ITX or HTPC cases might need a smaller SFX size unit as ATX would be too big to fit.

Thanks for clearing that up hopefully it will reach. So the PSU should be fine in that case I take it?