B450 and 3700x Compatibility

Just now, Samfisher said:

Isn't your current board a B450 too?  Or was there a typo :P

Oh no, I meant when the 4700x comes out, if I have the money I'll grab whatever board there is at the time (b650? or B550? i'm not too sure), or ill try it with my B450 Board if i dont have the money to upgrade the board.

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Oh yea didn't notice that. The M is significantly worse than the non m version. 

Good catch ;)

Ohhhhhh, how come that is? if it's just overclocking support and the like, it doesn't bother me too much as i wasn't planning too, as long as it helps the 5700xt reach a better potential then I'm pretty happy. I'm sort of gunning to be ready for when cyberpunk 2077 comes out.

1 minute ago, Bar_Jimmy said:

Oh no, I meant when the 4700x comes out, if I have the money I'll grab whatever board there is at the time (b650? or B550? i'm not too sure), or ill try it with my B450 Board if i dont have the money to upgrade the board.

you current b450 can cope with 4 core cpus and can just about handle 6 cores at stock, with some airflow over the vrms.

currently, i wouldn't change the 2600 if working well. it shouldn't bottleneck a 5700xt.

as for the 4000 series, you'll probably be able to run a 4 core comfortably (think the 4000 series equivalent of the 3300x), which should be a significant boost over the 2600, if you're only gaming. if you do other tasks like video editing and need more cores, you'll have to change mobo as well.

@Samfisher Thats sounds like a solid plan right? apparently I read somewhere on this thread that 4700x will be supported by B450 

2 minutes ago, Bar_Jimmy said:

Ohhhhhh, how come that is? i

It's running bare mosfets with no heatsink. It's not efficient so it will create a lot of heat and since there's no heatsink. There's no way to dissipate the heat. When you want to upgrade to zen 3.  Please upgrade the board as well.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, boggy77 said:

you current b450 can cope with 4 core cpus and can just about handle 6 cores at stock, with some airflow over the vrms.

currently, i wouldn't change the 2600 if working well. it shouldn't bottleneck a 5700xt.

as for the 4000 series, you'll probably be able to run a 4 core comfortably (think the 4000 series equivalent of the 3300x), which should be a significant boost over the 2600, if you're only gaming. if you do other tasks like video editing and need more cores, you'll have to change mobo as well.

Okay sick no worries, it handles 6 pretty well and boosts to the 3.9 Ghz AMD says it will when im gaming, and because I've got it water cooled it never goes past 50 degrees celsius and the GPU(1660ti) only gets to the mid 60's and only the high 70's with RDR2 which a mix of high and ultra settings.

2 minutes ago, Bar_Jimmy said:

@Samfisher Thats sounds like a solid plan right? apparently I read somewhere on this thread that 4700x will be supported by B450 

Sounds good.  AMD will support B450 and 4000 series but the BIOS itself will still have to be pushed out by MSI.  We'll know closer to launch whether MSI will have one for all their B450 boards.  I'm not sure about the VRM performance of the Pro Max however, but I'm sure there are resources you can look into.  There's also a massive spreadsheet of AM4 motherboards and all their individual components

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

It's running bare mosfets with no heatsink. It's not efficient so it will create a lot of heat and since there's no heatsink. There's no way to dissipate the heat. When you want to upgrade to zen 3.  Please upgrade the board as well.

Gotcha! gonna grab a 5700xt and see how well that does for cyberpunk and the other games I play, if I feel its not enough, i may upgrade! as long as i can hit 1080 120hz on some games(Cyberpunk not included,I'd be happy for 1080 60)then I'm pretty happy.

Okay sick no worries, it handles 6 pretty well and boosts to the 3.9 Ghz AMD says it will when im gaming, and because I've got it water cooled it never goes past 50 degrees celsius and the GPU(1660ti) only gets to the mid 60's and only the high 70's with RDR2 which a mix of high and ultra settings.

it's not about cpu temps, it's about vrm temps. I don't think it has a sensor on the vrms, so you probably can't monitor them, but I wouldn't be suprised if the vrms on the board would go to 100+ with a 2600.

Just now, Bar_Jimmy said:

Gotcha! gonna grab a 5700xt and see how well that does for cyberpunk and the other games I play, if I feel its not enough, i may upgrade! as long as i can hit 1080 120hz on some games(Cyberpunk not included,I'd be happy for 1080 60)then I'm pretty happy.

I have the 2600x, which is like 5% better than the 2600, with a gtx1660 (much slower than 5700xt) and I hit 120+ fps on most esport games and 60+ on most AAA games on high graphics

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

Sounds good.  AMD will support B450 and 4000 series but the BIOS itself will still have to be pushed out by MSI.  We'll know closer to launch whether MSI will have one for all their B450 boards.  I'm not sure about the VRM performance of the Pro Max however, but I'm sure there are resources you can look into.  There's also a massive spreadsheet of AM4 motherboards and all their individual components

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

Brilliant stuff, been a massive help. I promise i'm an enthusiast I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing :)

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

it's not about cpu temps, it's about vrm temps. I don't think it has a sensor on the vrms, so you probably can't monitor them, but I wouldn't be suprised if the vrms on the board would go to 100+ with a 2600.

Okay! that's something I've not even thought about before, and knowing me another thing I will now obsess over :D cooling in my case is pretty good but you're right. 

Brilliant stuff, been a massive help. I promise i'm an enthusiast I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing :)

Everyone has to learn somewhere!

However, after doing more digging, your mobo is quite low on the tier to support a 3700x-level CPU.  The VRMs seem insufficient and would get pretty hot.  Like someone above said, 4 cores good, 6 core at a stretch would work.

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I have the 2600x, which is like 5% better than the 2600, with a gtx1660 (much slower than 5700xt) and I hit 120+ fps on most esport games and 60+ on most AAA games on high graphics

Correct! I can get 120 ish frames in most esports titles, even MW upscaled a bit which I'm pretty happy with. But I'll concede that I've always been an AMD fanyboy as it was the first GPU and CPU I ever used so team red will always have a place in my heart! that and the 5700xt looks a good card so I'll probably grab one lol! thanks so much for your help!  

Just now, Samfisher said:

Everyone has to learn somewhere!

However, after doing more digging, your mobo is quite low on the tier to support a 3700x-level CPU.  The VRMs seem insufficient and would get pretty hot.  Like someone above said, 4 cores good, 6 core at a stretch would work.

Exactly man! I did it at college(I'm from the UK so I'm not sure what the US equivalent is if your're from there)But due to me having autism, I always anxious when spending money on these sorts of things so I always have to triple and quadruple check or I'll have a meltdown lol!

Exactly man! I did it at college(I'm from the UK so I'm not sure what the US equivalent is if your're from there)But due to me having autism, I always anxious when spending money on these sorts of things so I always have to triple and quadruple check or I'll have a meltdown lol!

A decent list would be here 

It's not perfect but it's good enough as a guideline.  I wouldn't go below Tier D for a 3700x-class CPU.  I'm from Malaysia :)