Minecraft / Plex Server for ~$500 USD

Budget (including currency): Around $500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I'll be running a single 10-15 person minecraft server and then direct playing 4k video through Plex. There might be a small a mount of transcoding 1080 video, but that is a reasonably rare occurence. 

Other details I won't need any peripherals but ideally I'd like to boot from an SSD and have at least 5tb of storage with the option later to put that storage into a RAID 1 configuration. Also, I plan to put this in my rack so ideally I'd like this to fit in a 2u space, but if it needs to be bigger it's not a huge problem. 

Thanks guys! Let me know if you need any more info. I'm happy to provide anything you need. 

dl380 g7 server could be a great option for you as you can find them cheap. I had one with dual x5650 and 88gb of ram and used it for plex and minecraft with 0 issues at all. Was just power hungry :)

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Escapenz said:

dl380 g7 server could be a great option for you as you can find them cheap. I had one with dual x5650 and 88gb of ram and used it for plex and minecraft with 0 issues at all. Was just power hungry :)

I agree. Minecraft is single-core and Plex doesn't take too much CPU. Just make sure you don't allocate all of that RAM to Minecraft, as Java sometimes has a hard time with over 4GB. Try using Docker so that you can add more applications to your server if you need to, like PiHole or a VPN.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

@ImAlsoRan @Escapenz

Thanks! Really appreciate it. Pretty happy to find that they sell for sub $200. 

Any insight into the set up process? I've never used anything like that. 

5 hours ago, nickgore0625 said:

@ImAlsoRan @Escapenz

Thanks! Really appreciate it. Pretty happy to find that they sell for sub $200. 

Any insight into the set up process? I've never used anything like that. 

Just like a normal pc tho. Personally if you can find one with a higher end cpu say x5670 or so on get that one.

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro