Born old configuration?

Go to solution Solved by Haro,
39 minutes ago, Sebastiano Vianello said:

do you think I can go with stock CPU cooling or should I buy an after-market one

Good enough.

I've now read about possible compatibility issues of the B450M with the Ryzen 3000 series

If the stock is new or it was manufactured recently it will most likely support it 

If it shipped with the old bios just ask a computer store to update it for you 

Every b450 board that has a sticker that says "ryzen 3000 ready"  then that means that it's guaranteed to ship with the new bios.

17 hours ago, Sebastiano Vianello said:

Thanks everyone!

If you can wait

Save up more and wait for zen 3 and ampere and big Navi and if the prices were too expensive for you 

You'll get last gen stuff got cheaper.

Hi everyone,

it's my first post so I hope it won't go as bad as I think!

I was thinking to build my first PC, which would be used mostly for Solidworks CAD and Open-FOAM CFD simulations, but I'd love to be able to run some games as well.

So I've done some researches on the used market and found a bundle at about 160€ consisting in:

• CPU: Intel i5-6400
  • MBO: Asus Z170-K

Then I searched for the other necessary components on Amazon and found these:

• GPU: RX-570 4GB
  • PSU: CoolerMaster MWE 600W White
  • CPU-Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212
  • RAM: Hyper-X Fury 2x8GB 3200MHz
  • SSD: Samsung MSI B365M NVMe M.2

The whole build would be around 450€.

My concern is that it will get old quite soon, given the CPU being a 6th gen and the MBO LGA a 1151.

Are these logic concerns (or even the right ones)?
Should I "settle" for this configuration or aim for a bigger expense now to have a longer lasting configuration?

Thanks everyone!

i'd settle for that price for right now imo, but obviously an upgrade would be due at some point. (assuming the memory is ddr4)

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

i would spend the extra to get something like a 3100 and a b450 combo, the 6400 is a pretty dead cpu. i have it, and it's really showing its age when rendering in premier.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Right now buying a system isn't great as well ryzen refresh, rtx 300 and big navi are launching around the sepetmber window. With ryzen 400 coming in fall. A 5th gen i5 is going to just suck for every single thing you want to do with the system. So my advice is to either wait or see for a used ryzen system with a b450 or x470board is available.

New a ryzen 2700 + any msi b450 MAX board would be about 250 and that would just smash that poor i5 in your work tasks and be a lot better gaming cpu. This also will allow you to upgrade to a whole other 2 gens of cpu's in the future if there is need for performance (a msi tomahawk or mortar max are preferable).

Also the psu you are looking at is very low quality and should not be used as it is a risk to your system. Here is a psu tier list.Get a 500w or higher unit from the b tier or up.

Ok I've done a bit of research and decided for this combo:

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • MBO: Gigabyte B450M
  • PSU: Corsair CX450W
  • Others: as before
  • Case: Thermaltake H15

Another question, do you think I can go with stock CPU cooling or should I buy an after-market one?

EDIT:

I've now read about possible compatibility issues of the B450M with the Ryzen 3000 series. Should I be concerned about it or is something that has been solved?

do you think I can go with stock CPU cooling or should I buy an after-market one

Good enough.

I've now read about possible compatibility issues of the B450M with the Ryzen 3000 series

If the stock is new or it was manufactured recently it will most likely support it 

If it shipped with the old bios just ask a computer store to update it for you 

Every b450 board that has a sticker that says "ryzen 3000 ready"  then that means that it's guaranteed to ship with the new bios.

17 hours ago, Sebastiano Vianello said:

Thanks everyone!

If you can wait

Save up more and wait for zen 3 and ampere and big Navi and if the prices were too expensive for you 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

If you can wait

Unfortunately I can't wait because the old PC I was using for such stuffs (a stripped down Asus Vivobook) left us, so I needed the new machine ASAP.

I finally placed my order, I should have the whole bundle in a couple of days.

Thanks everyone again, I'm genuinely impressed by the responses quality and timing!