Low performance and benchmark tools say different things. I'm confused

Hi everyone,

I was playing GTA 5 and noticed I had lower performance than the benchmark video's I've seen with the same specs as me (system specs bottom of post)

So I ultimately decided to start up RivaTuner and do some benchmarking to see if my expectations were wrong or if something wasn't right. after my benchmarking I got an average of 52 fps with all medium settings (benchmarks got near 90 on high/very high) and my gpu was at around 40% and cpu everywhere from 20% to 50%. I couldn't figure it out after 2 weeks so I gave up. but when I was playing again I opened Xbox gamebar and I saw that it said my gpu was at 84% and my cpu at about the same as RivaTuner said. I did some searching and couldn't find anyone with the same problem. and I'm not sure which one to believe... gamebar or good ol' RivaTuner, and what could be causing this? I hope someone here has an awnser.

thank you for you time,

LTTdropTips.

specs:

ryzen 5 1600af oc 3.7ghz stock cooler

1650 super oc (oc in images) 90% trusted according to msi overclock scanner

16gb evo spear 3200hz (2x8)

asrock b450m pro4

samsung 860 evo 500gb ssd + external ssd adata sd600q 480gb (gta is on samsung)

evga 450br 80+ bronze

2x mf120 HALO fans

windows 10 home (version 2004)

variable refreshrate on

hardware accelerated GPU scheduling on

if you need any more information feel free to ask.

gta v.jpg

Screenshot_(10).png

the gta screenshot taken here was taken just now because I decided it would be useful for the post here the usage is even higher compared to RivaTuner

You ran out of VRAM, try lower the texture or/and MSAA . 🤔

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

13 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

You ran out of VRAM, try lower the texture or/and MSAA . 🤔

those are both off and with the settings I have on I have more than 2gb of vram left

Screenshot (11).png

13 minutes ago, LTTdropTips said:

those are both off and with the settings I have on I have more than 2gb of vram left

-snip-

In your 1st screenshot, gamebar OSD show GPU usage of 93%, that's actually VRAM usage. You can enable MSI Afterburner VRAM usage to double check. 

What about Texture and Advanced Graphic settings?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

no that is ram usage. I have given gta v 8gb ram. it also says it shows usage in percentile, with that my card has 4gb and as you can see I literally I have 2gb left so that isn't the problem. all advanced settings are off. any other solutions.

4 minutes ago, LTTdropTips said:

no that is ram usage. I have given gta v 8gb ram. it also says it shows usage in percentile, with that my card has 4gb and as you can see I literally I have 2gb left so that isn't the problem. all advanced settings are off. any other solutions.

I mean this.

image.png.942416aebe1bd541188e72960ec7001e.png

That's your real time VRAM usage, you're using 3.8GB/4GB of your 1650s VRAM capacity. If you only have GTA:V running on that screenshot i reckon it already used your system RAM as VRAM.

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

I mean this.

image.png.942416aebe1bd541188e72960ec7001e.png

That's your real time VRAM usage, you're using 3.8GB/4GB of your 1650s VRAM capacity. If you only have GTA:V running on that screenshot i reckon it already used your system RAM as VRAM.

When I click on it it's not vram but usage in %. It also has 2gb of vram left with the settings I use. When I get back home I'll benchmark with RivaTuner but I'm 99.9% sure that isn't  the issue at hand

19 hours ago, LTTdropTips said:

When I click on it it's not vram but usage in %. It also has 2gb of vram left with the settings I use. When I get back home I'll benchmark with RivaTuner but I'm 99.9% sure that isn't  the issue at hand

Lol, i know that actually represent VRAM usage and not GPU utilization.

GTA:V VRAM usage setting is inaccurate, a max out VRAM can lead to lower GPU utilization because of slow system RAM.

Either that or you have another process running in the background that is using your GPU, like a cryptominer. 

You still haven't share your texture detail.