M.2 Enclosures

Go to solution Solved by NewMaxx,

Does anyone know if there are any external M.2 enclosures which are compatible with all standard M.2 drives?
I am looking to manage drives form various devices with varying combinations of SATA / NVME and M, B, and M + B keying.
I don’t think something like this is possible, but I'm hoping to avoid buying multiple enclosures.
I don’t need transfer speeds over 10 Gbps USB if that matters and only need to connect one drive at a time.

Not that I know of, you need 2 different ones for SATA and PCIe.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

No idea if it's any use for you, but I'm aware that PCIe expansion cards have been sold that allow both M and B keyed M.2 SSDs to be installed simultaneously. Theoretically, you could purchase an extenal GPU enclosure and add such a card instead of a GPU. Said adapter cards were sold fairly cheaply on Aliexpress pre-corona, no idea what's on offer now and for what prices.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I have one but it's not how you'd think - the PCIe slot supplies power and operates the PCIe m.2 slot, but they didn't bother putting a SATA controller on the board so you have to connect a SATA cable from the card to a port on the mobo for the SATA m.2 slot to work.

There might be some with a controller, but I've never come across that... and it would require bifurcation.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Thanks for the responses.

19 hours ago, NewMaxx said:

That's the closest I've seen to a true universal adapter so I'm marking it as the answer.

With the bifurcated assembly, I’m not sure if it's a better option than the independent adapters, but I am definitely considering it.

It's basically independent adapters in the same casing. JMS583, JMS580, and in fact the 3-in-1 must have two JMS580s as it claims all three drive types can be used simultaneously.