what kind of SSD is fast enough?

dfsgsfa

There's multiple videos testing this stuff, both scientifically and anecdotally. Linus essentially did a Pepsi challenge, to see if SATA vs. PCIe 3.0, vs PCIe 4.0 was noticeable during gaming. The answer was effectively no. No one could tell the difference, and some even thought the SATA was the PCIe 4.0.

A PCIe 3.0 M.2 will serve you well as a boot drive, and performance will be evident there. Otherwise, there's no real benefit. For consumers, PCIe 4.0 speeds are completely irrelevant.

That said, if you're going PCIe 3.0, don't go any lower than something approaching theoretical max (3500Mbps). The 1500-2000Mbps SSDs are just crap. They usually aren't even cheaper, and if they are, it's not by enough to warrant using them. I just picked up a Crucial MX500 M.2 500GB for $65 and it's a beast. There's no reason to cheap out here.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

7 hours ago, dfsgsfa said:

take these 4 as example, all 500gb , seq r/w speed

- mx500 / sata ~550mb r/w

- intel 660p  / m.2 nvme~ 1500mb r /1000mb w

- crucial p2 / m.2 ~ 2300mb r / 940mb w

- samsung 970 evo ~3400mb r / 2300mb w

I only have a sata mx500  and a 8200pro m.2( 3300mb reads) and i feel sata really fall behind in general windows use, nothing productive here.

Also i have a conception that mid range m.2 nvme are only using pcie x2 speed and think they are waste of the precious slot on mobo.

Are the mid range nvme fast enough to neglect the time between a high end nvme drive?

The price point in which you get 8200pro is just exceptional comparing its performance with the Samsung 970 evo. Why pay about 33 % more price for the almost same performance. Getting data transfer rate that high is never a waste of precious slot on mobo.

Moreover for general functioning, getting a mid range nvme is a very good option considering the very high price point of the high end nvme drive.

4 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

hat said, if you're going PCIe 3.0, don't go any lower than something approaching theoretical max (3500Mbps). The 1500-2000Mbps SSDs are just crap. They usually aren't even cheaper, and if they are, it's not by enough to warrant using them. I just picked up a Crucial MX500 M.2 500GB for $65 and it's a beast. There's no reason to cheap out here.

so why are you wasting a m.2 slot for a sata ssd afterall?

just checked pcpp that 8200pro is $75 on amazon

2 hours ago, appr3ntic3 said:

Why pay about 33 % more price for the almost same performance. Getting data transfer rate that high is never a waste of precious slot on mobo.

why cheaper? simple, it was a faulty product line.

i original bought a.sx8200 non pro , got limited to 300mb writes, rma twice with same issue after a few months. and they launched the pro version with diff chip in a yr or so.

6 hours ago, dfsgsfa said:

so why are you wasting a m.2 slot for a sata ssd afterall?

just checked pcpp that 8200pro is $75 on amazon

That wasn't the right drive, I was thinking of. Nevermind.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

9 hours ago, dfsgsfa said:

why cheaper? simple, it was a faulty product line.

i original bought a.sx8200 non pro , got limited to 300mb writes, rma twice with same issue after a few months. and they launched the pro version with diff chip in a yr or so.

I was talking about the PRO Version which performs well in par with the other high end NVME chips. Anyway what did you conclude then ??