[In-progress] My In-between Build

HamnJam

During my research for a new build, I came across this website and felt it would fun to post a log of my pending mostly-new PC and to introduce myself.

I call it the "In-between" build as I feel it's in-between a 'budget' and 'enthusiast build' (your opinions may differ). I have always built more budget minded gaming PCs in the past but decided to pay that little bit extra this time around. My current rig is an i5 750-era (nehalem, I think) PC.

Here is a list of my new parts.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO Asus Maximus VI Hero (a small increased cost for better audio and aesthetics)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013

Parts that I am already using and will continue to use in my new build: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W, and a WD 1TB HD.  I'm hoping that my PSU will suffice.

I'm particularly excited at the prospect of being able to run Arma 3 at higher settings (it's currently bringing my current PC to its knees) and to use a high-end case (cabling solutions! and a window to look into!).

All parts except the motherboard are sitting in a pile on the floor. Kind of wish I selected the faster shipping. I will continue to post as the assembly begins.

Cheers,
HamnJam

Edit grammar, spelling corrections... I hates those.

Nice build, although if you haven't already bought it, the psu doesn't need to be 700 watts, you could go with 600 easily.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @4.3 GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A RAM: Corsair XMS3 Series 8GB @1600MHz GPU: EVGA 660 ti SC Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache PSU: Corsair CX500

Nice build, although if you haven't already bought it, the psu doesn't need to be 700 watts, you could go with 600 easily.

He already has it so there would be no reason replacing it.

He already has it so there would be no reason replacing it.

Oh, yeah, I probably should have read that. Haha

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @4.3 GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A RAM: Corsair XMS3 Series 8GB @1600MHz GPU: EVGA 660 ti SC Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache PSU: Corsair CX500

if this is your "tweener" build, what is your high end one going to be? This one is pretty good as is.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Yes, I already own this one. It's about 4-5 years old but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't function in a new build.

if this is your "tweener" build, what is your high end one going to be? This one is pretty good as is.

I would love to have a SLI/Crossfire rig one day with multi-monitors. Custom watercooling interests me but will likely ever do it (leaks damaging components scare me too much). After reading your comment, I have come to reflect that this rig is likely approaching more of the enthusiast criteria.  :rolleyes:

IMG_0840_zpsd59f4842.jpg

Prior to the build start

IMG_0848_zps382b0bd2.jpg

PSU, mobo, CPU cooler installed

IMG_0853_zps3cf213be.jpg

Not entirely happy with the look of the cables but a vast improvement from my previous gaming rig

IMG_0854_zpsfe4923c5.jpgIMG_0857_zps42bd9086.jpg

I'm liking the white a lot. The angular look is still growing on me. I'm very pleased on the airflow and quietness. A vast improvement on my previous Antec 300.

Benchmarking and overclocking log to follow.

Nice build. Love the phantom 530 and kraken combo. 

All I got to say now is....

lol, I remember watching a few video of the Kraken starting out with 'release the kraken'

An update on how the overclocking goes.

CPU_zps2c4ba173.png

I'm quite disappointed on only getting the system stable on 4.2GHz :(. Bottom percentile for sure. I got the system stable on 4.3GHz at 1.25V but couldn't get adaptive mode to work hence the current speed. On the plus side, the CPU is 50C at load. Do you think I have the room to up the voltage? Is heat the only risk for the processor or does incresing voltage reduce the lifespan regardless of temperature?

Onto the GPU.

An update on how the overclocking goes.

CPU_zps2c4ba173.png

I'm quite disappointed on only getting the system stable on 4.2GHz :(. Bottom percentile for sure. I got the system stable on 4.3GHz at 1.25V but couldn't get adaptive mode to work hence the current speed. On the plus side, the CPU is 50C at load. Do you think I have the room to up the voltage? Is heat the only risk for the processor or does incresing voltage reduce the lifespan regardless of temperature?

Onto the GPU.

You can go much higher on the voltage if you're at 50C load. 

Either way, 4.5 GHz is attainable and actually around average for Haswell. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White