Network Wide Machine Spec Query

Graham Carter

As the title, am looking into an automated method of obtaining PC specs (memory, processor, disk space etc) over the network

To further complicate things, all of our users are working remotely and connect to the company network via meraki vpn

I was considering doing an all user email to have them run DxDiag tool and email the txt report back but my boss said no!

image029.png.99b0f0ce496674ad50842324329a009b.png

I realise there are tools like spice works inventory scanner out there, however these rely on a direct network connection to work properly.

Any suggestions of apps / tools is most appreciated 馃檪

Would the installation of software on client machines be out of the question? I've used GLPI and FusionInventory for a mass-scale inventory effort in the past. Client machines contact GLPI with their specs periodically which is then inventoried by FusionInventory. This is different from LANSweeper and SpiceWorks, as the host machine uses remote access to retrieve specs from WMI.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU聽- Ryzen 9 3900X聽| Cooler -聽Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS |聽RAM聽- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB聽|聽Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE |聽PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum |聽Storage聽- 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS聽- Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU聽- Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard- ASRock Z590M-ITX |聽RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)聽 | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS聽- TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

remote software installation could be a possibility, as could role it out via GPO.

Im wondering if an automated gpo dxdiag solution is feasible聽

Funny you should mention GLPI as we already have it in place in a vanilla state

14 minutes ago, Graham Carter said:

Im wondering if an automated gpo dxdiag solution is feasible聽

It would take a bit longer to parse out the data you receive, but it is certainly doable. Alternatively, I believe SpiceWorks and PDQ inventory can retrieve specs from domain computers without using their pathetic LAN scanners.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU聽- Ryzen 9 3900X聽| Cooler -聽Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS |聽RAM聽- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB聽|聽Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE |聽PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum |聽Storage聽- 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS聽- Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU聽- Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard- ASRock Z590M-ITX |聽RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)聽 | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS聽- TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Here's some useful articles. Assuming you have a shared drive/folder that all these computers/users can access to save an output file to, and that you have the ability to create GPO's. (Sounds like you can)

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/908669-gather-computer-information-on-a-domain-query-workstations

https://www.robvanderwoude.com/wmic.php

https://www.robvanderwoude.com/wmigen.php