Unusual ITX Case Request

Hello. I'm in the market for an unusual ITX case; one with support for a full tower CPU cooler, and the PSU mounted on the backside of the motherboard tray. The closest thing I can find is either the Riotoro CR1080, or the Lian-Li PC-Q37WX. The former, however, is too tall (plus that weird upside-down layout), and the latter doesn't support an ATX PSU, only SFX. My imaginary case would look like a shorter, wider, Fractal Design Define Nano S.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure no-one has made a case like this.

Edited by Guest

ITX means it supports ITX form factor only, with standoff spacing only for those motherboards.

When you say "full tower," do you actually mean ATX? Because the term full tower refers to massive cases, whereas there are mid tower ATX cases that accommodate the same size motherboard. Your first case selection supports an ATX motherboard, your second does not.

21 minutes ago, alabistyr said:

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure no-one has made a case like this.

Google the dimensions of the ATX motherboard standard, and also Google the dimensions of the ATX PSU standard, and you will quickly find out that what you are looking for is physically impossible. You even said that the Riotoro case is "too tall" but it's literally barely large enough to fit an ATX motherboard, it cannot actually be any shorter.

The only case I can imagine that can accommodate your request is this one:

Screenshot_20200623-083359_Chrome.jpg

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

When you say "full tower," do you actually mean ATX?

No, I mean a full tower CPU cooler a la the Noctua NH-U12S. The Lian-Li PC-Q39 comes very close to what I want, but it has one too many expansion slots and limited space for a cooler. (Pic for ref.)

thumbnail_lian-li-pc-q39-2.jpg.f4e44dfc38512fd79789f4687d3e5616.jpg

I know what I'm requesting is extremely specific, I just wondered if it was ever manufactured so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a custom case.

2 minutes ago, alabistyr said:

No, I mean a full tower CPU cooler a la the Noctua NH-U12S.

I see. What cooler height did you have in mind? Or did you just want the extra space and the ability to add a nice large radiator?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

What cooler height did you have in mind?

Max. ~165mm. Like I said in my OP, I essentially want a Fractal Design Define Nano S with the PSU mounted on its side behind the motherboard instead of beneath it.

I am pretty sure this imaginary case layout has not yet been implemented by any manufacturer.

8 minutes ago, alabistyr said:

Max. ~165mm. Like I said in my OP, I essentially want a Fractal Design Define Nano S with the PSU mounted on its side behind the motherboard instead of beneath it.

I am pretty sure this imaginary case layout has not yet been implemented by any manufacturer.

Well you get something that has the same effect with the inwin A1

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/DLtQzy/inwin-a1-plus-white-mini-itx-tower-case-w650-w-power-supply-iw-a1plus-white

Then there's the core x1 that has a horizontal motherboard tray so it does have the same kind of layout

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/8238TW/thermaltake-case-ca1d600s1wn00

Primary PC:

10 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Well you get something that has the same effect with the inwin A1

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/DLtQzy/inwin-a1-plus-white-mini-itx-tower-case-w650-w-power-supply-iw-a1plus-white

Then there's the core x1 that has a horizontal motherboard tray so it does have the same kind of layout

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/8238TW/thermaltake-case-ca1d600s1wn00

Thanks. I had already considered the A1, but I dislike its little plastic skirt and the wireless charging gimmick, plus I don't need the PSU. The X1 is another case which is very close, but it's too large and the optical bays are unnecessary.

I know I'm being very nitpicky, but I do appreciate your effort in recommending something!

2 minutes ago, alabistyr said:

Thanks. I had already considered the A1, but I dislike its little plastic skirt and the wireless charging gimmick, plus I don't need the PSU. The X1 is another case which is very close, but it's too large and the optical bays are unnecessary.

there is of course, the classic:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dM8H99/silverstone-case-sstsg13b

if you can live with the lack of space above the CPU

Primary PC:

3 hours ago, Timbermaniac said:

h200 ? fit atx psu, noctua d15. 

Same as the Fractal Design Define Nano S: Yes, these cases meet most of my specs, however I want something which is shorter, with the PSU on the backside of the motherboard.

PSU on the backside is kind of a massive waste of space, so unsurprising it's not common...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

That's a very specific case layout. and I'm not sure it has been done exactly the way you think it should look like. The thing is: once you add the height for a tower style air cooler you added a lot of width. Then you add the GPU. which most likely exceeds the ITX board's dimension concerning length. So then you end up with a lot of dead space which defeats the whole purpose of an ITX build. You could put the GPU on the back of the motherboard but then you and up with lots of dead space next to the mainboard again.

That Lian Li case is 30l (!!!) in volume. There are mATX cases that are smaller and you're entering ATX mini tower territory there. Systems in those cases only give you the drawbacks of ITX boards without their potential benefits. A big ITX case should be (imho) still be under 20l. I have no idea, why 30l+ ITX cases exist to be quite frank.

The only use case for something with that much space in it would be a NAS or home server build. That's pretty niche. And those cases focus on drive bays rather than cooling space. But even my 6 disk NAS build is under 20l with a Fractal Deisgn Node 304.

I'd say you should look into smaller cooler designs just go with a larger mainboard - or learn the skills to fabricate your own (that's waht I'm considering). 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

That Lian Li case is 30l (!!!) in volume. There are mATX cases that are smaller and you're entering ATX mini tower territory there. Systems in those cases only give you the drawbacks of ITX boards without their potential benefits. A big ITX case should be (imho) still be under 20l. I have no idea, why 30l+ ITX cases exist to be quite frank.

i agree with this. that Lian Li box is the perfect mATX box. i have one modded to fit a mATX threadripper machine and (soon) dual RTX 2080's. the fact that this is possible alone should be an indication of how massively oversized it is for ITX.

Spoiler

IMG_20200612_125639.thumb.jpg.0a1399979a961e2f5829bc39bf39c380.jpg

the thing with adding a full size PSU to the side of a low ITX box is that the thing becomes very wide, especially with a lot of air cooler clearance. it'll probably be wider than it is high, which (imo) would look kinda silly.

To me if you're going to have a tall tower cooler and enough depth for a full length GPU the PSU should be in the corner above the GPU/right of the CPU cooler to make use of that empty space rather than on the back creating even more empty space all around it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2