Components In this Video

BrandonB63

Hey guys, thinking about making a jury-rigged laptop water-cooling stand, could anyone tell me what components Linus used here to make the water-cooling loop?

Like - how is Linus powering the loop or radiator? External PSU? Any ideas pls?

Please assume I'm a complete idot here, just started reading about pc-building.

I assume and hope that you do not plan to do this at home lol.

He was using a aluminium water block from amazon, (mabye 1.5 inches by 5 inches by one inch just from memory), he had it connected to a pump (i dident see what it was but i assuma ea fish tank pump). the 'radiator' was just a bucket full of ice water (i guess its more of a res).

I say again there is no way you can diy this for serious performance, you would need to replace the ice every time you wanted to game and it would be so stupidly expensive.

Yeah, no way I'm going to use an ICE TUB of all friggin thing to do the cooling, just a regular old radiator - maintenance would be a nightmare. 

Planning to make a stand with the block embedded in it, with a much larger block used. https://www.amazon.com/DIYhz-Aluminum-4020012mm-Computer-Endothermic/dp/B07FZXYKRV/ref=pd_sbs_147_3/139-7620672-8491700?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07FZXYKRV&pd_rd_r=2b8017ab-e03a-419e-9c81-613daf87bcfa&pd_rd_w=CBxwj&pd_rd_wg=EzJAF&pf_rd_p=bdc67ba8-ab69-42ee-b8d8-8f5336b36a83&pf_rd_r=E347F0KAYS1M16VRQAX2&psc=1&refRID=E347F0KAYS1M16VRQAX2

The block and overall stand will be flush with my macbook pro 16in's bottom (but not attached to allow for portability), and with the extra cooling performance (since in bootcamp, CPU and GPU are less power-limited), I think my laptop should run cooler and/or quietly.

Quietness is an issue since I want to be able to run Folding@Home at nighttimes while I sleep.

Thoughts?

Edited by BrandonB63

15 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Watch the video in full. Trying to watercool your macbook air like that is a pretty bad idea, both because it's super expensive to do (his block that he used was $80 if I remember correctly) and because it's no longer portable if you want to do it right. I would recommend what he did, if you are happy with a hot bottom of the machine, just stick a big ass thermal pad between the heatsink and the bottom plate of the laptop. You get like 15% better performance.

Yeah, thermal pad is one of the options I'm considering. Still need to research options tho.

The reason thermal pad's a second choice is 

1. My macbook pro doesn't have that insulating layer, so I think the chassis is fairy efficient as a heat sink.

2. Its chassis gets pretty hot as is, so I think there's not much more heat-dissapation capacity to leverage.

3. I usually run my macbook pro in bootcamp mode, with less of the power limitiations that prevented the macbook air from increasing its performance.

BTW, I haven't found the block Linus used, but I found a $20 model on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/DIYhz-Aluminum-4020012mm-Computer-Endothermic/dp/B07FZXYKRV/ref=pd_sbs_147_3/139-7620672-8491700?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07FZXYKRV&pd_rd_r=2b8017ab-e03a-419e-9c81-613daf87bcfa&pd_rd_w=CBxwj&pd_rd_wg=EzJAF&pf_rd_p=bdc67ba8-ab69-42ee-b8d8-8f5336b36a83&pf_rd_r=E347F0KAYS1M16VRQAX2&psc=1&refRID=E347F0KAYS1M16VRQAX2

EDIT: Scratch Reason 1 -- it does still have the insulating layer. Still, even with this insulation, it's pretty damn hot already.

Edited by BrandonB63

6 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. This would only be effective for a Macbook air, because the Macbook pro has a proper heatsink. There isn't much of a point placing a thermal pad there, however it may increase performance somewhat.

Yeah; what I'm hoping for is to 1. Increase cooling performance to the point that the fans kick up less strongly at full load. 2. Reduce thermal stress on the computer, since temps easily shoot up to the high 90s under full load.

Welp, time to get my ifixit kit then. Boy, 16 in. MBP is a pain ....

Any paste recs Alex?

43 minutes ago, BrandonB63 said:

Welp, time to get my ifixit kit then. Boy, 16 in. MBP is a pain ....

Any paste recs Alex?

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the best thermal paste you can buy.