Old Motherboard wont post

BobyTheDragon

Before I start this is an old 754 system that I was building from old parts. So this is a bit of a new area for me to play around with.
The system is the following:
Winfast 760GXK8MC Micro ATX motherboard
AMD Sempron 2600+
1 x TwinMOS 256 MBs PC2100 RAM
ATI x1550 AGP GPU
Some unknown brand Soundcard (Chipset says "E3DX" it looks like)
Thermal Master 420 Watt PSU

So it started a few days ago when I plugged in a WD 500 GB Sata HDD to install Windows XP on through the system. Just testing to see if everything works. Before hand I had run Tiny Core Linux and it seemed that everything was okay.
Though this is where I don't understand what went wrong. I left Windows XP just running and went off to do something before coming back to a blank screen. The system just went to sleep it seemed like. Though pressing the space bar didn't seem to do anything or the power button. So I turned the system off VIA the power supply (Which I had done a lot anyway during testing the past few days, So I dont think this is a power surge). After turning the system back on I didn't get a beep or any video output. I left the system running for a while as I searched around on google (even the second page) for any information on what might of went wrong until out of no where it did the familiar beep and I got video after idling for 10 minutes. Sadly my Windows XP install somehow broke. So I went through and reinstalled Windows XP with no issues once again. Restarted a few times until I left it alone and it went to "sleep" again.

Now even after waiting for 10 minutes the motherboard completely refuses to post. No Beep. No video. Just a CPU fan spinning away. I have spent the last day trying to figure out the issues. Resetting the CMOS (Battery way and through Jumpers). Unplugging and replugging in everything. Testing a different PSU. And just letting it idle for nearly an hour with nothing but the CPU and RAM installed.

Have I somehow killed the BIOS by just letting Windows XP go to sleep? Is that possible? Im not sure on what other things I can try to get it working again. So maybe someone on the forum can give me some idea on what to try.

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

26 minutes ago, Marshall212 said:

-snip-

Unfortunately, this is a very old motherboard. Chances are quite high that it has up and died.

Look at the capacitors on the board to see if any are bulging or leaking. The mid-2000's was a particularly bad time of poor quality capacitors. Even if they don't bulge or leak, they may have lost capacitance. Just as easily, it could be any other I/C on the board. You might be able to revive it with a capacitor replacement, but by no means is it guaranteed. My last mobo (8 years old) blew up it's VRM recently. That's however, is terminal. It couldn't even turn the PSU on.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Unfortunately, this is a very old motherboard. Chances are quite high that it has up and died.

Look at the capacitors on the board to see if any are bulging or leaking. The mid-2000's was a particularly bad time of poor quality capacitors. Even if they don't bulge or leak, they may have lost capacitance. Just as easily, it could be any other I/C on the board. You might be able to revive it with a capacitor replacement, but by no means is it guaranteed. My last mobo (8 years old) blew up it's VRM recently. That's however, is terminal. It couldn't even turn the PSU on.

I did think about capacitors actually. That could be the problem but when I look at the motherboard I see lots of different types which makes me believe that some could of been replaced at some point. Though Ill have a look over it fully to make sure none of them are bulging/leaking. Thank you though. It could be worth a shot to replace them.

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

3 minutes ago, Marshall212 said:

I did think about capacitors actually. That could be the problem but when I look at the motherboard I see lots of different types which makes me believe that some could of been replaced at some point. Though Ill have a look over it fully to make sure none of them are bulging/leaking. Thank you though. It could be worth a shot to replace them.

It's fairly normal for motherboards to have a variety of types and sizes of capacitors, this is normal. Capacitor replacement on motherboards is very uncommon, as they're really tough to solder. Multi-layer PCB's love to sink heat.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64