Connecting Laptop to 240hz display

adilshay

Hi, I have an Asus Rog Strix Scar III (G531GW) with the following specs:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, Intel Core i7-9750H, 16GB DDR4, 1TB PCIe Nvme SSD.

This laptop has two possible ports to connect an external 240hz monitor USB C (DP 1.4 compatible) and HDMI 2.0b.

I have two questions:

1) Assuming the monitor supports HDMI at 240hz, it should work with both a displayport / usb c adapter and hdmi?

2) How do i tell if the USB C or HDMI is connected directly to the Nvidia GPU or through the Intel Graphics (I would like to disable Nvidia Optimus when I connect it to the monitor)?

When I enter Nvidia Physx menu, it shows this: a usb c connected to intel graphics AND a Displayport connected to the Nvidia GPU. It shows that HDMI is only connected to the Nvidia GPU, which is good for getting rid of Optimus, but HDMI does not support G Sync. 

nvidia.PNG

What resolution is the monitor? The ports aren't specifically on a certain GPU, on laptops it switches between integrated and the actual GPU to save power.

Let me help you with those specs: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-III/specifications/

The laptop has HDMI 2.0b. That has a maximum bandwidth of 14.4 Gbps.

1080p @ 240 Hz requires a bandwidth of 14.93 Gbps, so is just outside of the port's capabilities (unless you use chroma sub-sampling).  So lower resolutions should work, provided the monitor supports 240 Hz over HDMI (best bet would be an HDMI 2.1 monitor). Any higher resolution would not work (at that refresh rate).

The laptop also has USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 with display support, but unfortunately it doesn't mention what type exactly.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

28 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Let me help you with those specs: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-III/specifications/

The laptop has HDMI 2.0b. That has a maximum bandwidth of 14.4 Gbps.

1080p @ 240 Hz requires a bandwidth of 14.93 Gbps, so is just outside of the port's capabilities (unless you use chroma sub-sampling).  So lower resolutions should work, provided the monitor supports 240 Hz over HDMI (best bet would be an HDMI 2.1 monitor). Any higher resolution would not work (at that refresh rate).

The laptop also has USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 with display support, but unfortunately it doesn't mention what type exactly.

I thought 1080p @ 240hz requires 14.0 Gbps?

hdmi.PNG.41bffddbe28ffd1b55b0f70b82841744.PNG

9 minutes ago, adilshay said:

I thought 1080p @ 240hz requires 14.0 Gbps?

Hm, interesting. I've been using this bandwidth calculator, and it gives me 14.9 Gbps.

I've retried with the one from LTT and it gives me 14 Gbps...

I suppose in that case it should work. You just have to find a monitor that supports 240 Hz over HDMI then.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Hm, interesting. I've been using this bandwidth calculator, and it gives me 14.9 Gbps.

I've retried with the one from LTT and it gives me 14 Gbps...

I suppose in that case it should work. You just have to find a monitor that supports 240 Hz over HDMI then.

Ok, thank you!

• 1 year later...

@adilshay

Was the HDMI sufficient for this?

• 5 months later...

What was the end solution for this? I have same laptop and a Samsung G9 240hz monitor. I am holing to game at 140hz.