USB C to Displayport Rift S

RainColt

I recently bought a rift s and found that it has a displayport instead of an HDMI, My Dell 7757 that I used with my original Rift only has an HDMI out and thunderbolt 3 but I cant get any of my USB C to Displayport adapters to work, Should I be looking for a thunderbolt to displayport adapter and do they even exist, cause I cant find one.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Are you sure the Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 has Thunderbolt 3? As far as I can see it has USB 3.1 Gen 1 (aka USB 3.0), but no TB3.

The USB-C to DisplayPort adapter will only work if the port actually carries a DP signal (meaning it supports DP as an alt mode). If so, there should be a small "DP" logo next to the port.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Are you sure the Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 has Thunderbolt 3? As far as I can see it has USB 3.1 Gen 1 (aka USB 3.0), but no TB3.

The USB-C to DisplayPort adapter will only work if the port actually carries a DP signal (meaning it supports DP as an alt mode). If so, there should be a small "DP" logo next to the port.

my bad, its a 7757 not a 5577
1. Headphones | 2. SS USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-As | 3. SS USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C w/ ThunderboltBT3 |4. HDMI 2.0 | 5. Noble Lock Security Slot | 6. Power |7. Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 | 8. SS USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A | 9. Media Card Reader

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

6 hours ago, RainColt said:

my bad, its a 7757 not a 5577
1. Headphones | 2. SS USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-As | 3. SS USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C w/ ThunderboltBT3 |4. HDMI 2.0 | 5. Noble Lock Security Slot | 6. Power |7. Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 | 8. SS USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A | 9. Media Card Reader

Apparently the USB-C port is wired to the iGPU. So that needs to be enabled and is used as a pass-through for the dGPU to output video over DP.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-7577-gaming-laptop-dGPU-iGPU-via-USB-C/td-p/5843609

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply