New PC Randomly Restarts

zhayman

Hey folks,

I recently built a new PC and I'm encountering a weird issue where the system will completely power off then start back up on its own. It's presenting like an issue I had with my previous computer which ended up being a bad Power Supply, but I have a hard time believing that's the case as my current Power Supply is only 5-6 months old. I'm kind of thinking it's a Motherboard issue as I am using a brand new B550 board and perhaps all the bugs haven't been worked out yet, but I have no idea how to go about diagnosing or resolving the issue.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600 w/ Stock Cooler

ASROCK B550M Steel Legend

G. Skill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 (2 x 8GB)

Geforce RTX 2060 Super Founders Edition

Samsung 960 Evo Plus (250 GB OS Drive)

Samsung 850 Evo (1TB)

Corsair RM650

Everything is brand new except the 2060 Super and the Corsair RM650 as those were moved over from my previous build. 

• 2 months later...

Hey. Just wondering if you managed to fix your issue. I been having a similar issue on the same motherboard. I seems to have started when I upgraded my ram to a 3600 CL16 kit. 

I'm having the same exact issue on an ASRock B550M Pro4. The screen just goes black and restarts. No blue screen, no errors in Event Viewer, no Bug Check Code on the Event 41 in Event Viewer. It just goes black and restarts. It could happen a few times a day, or not at all in a day, but then the next day it could happen again. It's very random. I'm on the latest BIOS too.

Just like @AceToAced I'm also on a 3600 CL16 kit!

Does anyone think this is the RAM speed? Maybe we need to run it stock? Maybe 3600 is drawing too much power and overheating something? Could this overheat the VRMs?

@FinTheHuman I am thinking its RAM speed. I have pulled down my RAM speed a bit (100 MHZ) and see if that helps at all. So far today that seems to have helped but still need more long term proof. 

I'm having the same issue with b550m steel legend, Corsair vengeance 3600 rgb 16gb, Ryzen 3600, gtx 1070, Rog strix 550w PSU.

The most irritating part is I can't seem to force the issue to happen, the other day it seemed to happen using CPU burner, so I replaced the CPU, it worked for 1 day and I'm back to restarting.

Today I could run CPU burner and furmark with no issue, but couldn't get memtest to complete a run with both sticks without a restart, but I've just tried each stick individually and they pass with zero errors.

Also tried a Corsair 550w PSU that's served me fine the last 2 years and the issue persists.

I think I'm about done with asrock.

EDIT: And the ASrock is on it's way back to amazon with an MSI b550m mortar wifi coming to replace it, I'll try to reply again if it all works out :)

So far today I haven't ran into any issues after pulling down my ram speed slightly. It's a bit annoying that I have to sacrifice a bit of performance but I suppose it's fine for now until they come out with a bios fix for this.

• 2 weeks later...

So i returned my b550m steel legend and got an MSI b550m mortar wifi instead, gone are all my instabilities, no crashes for over a week, even using faster ram settings than the XMP profiles on my vengeance 3600, much happier with this board, no polychrome RGB or shitty asrock bios to deal with!