Laptop very slow

My HP Elitebook Folio 9470m ultrabook has started to become very slow. I recently reinstalled windows and wiped the hard drive. Everything was working fine until 2 days ago when I turned it on and started booting up even though I don't recall having shutting it down. The circular loading thing at the bottom was running slow, it was stuttering, so I restarted and then it took 5 minutes to boot. Once booted some processes were running, like it took a while to open the start menu for the first time and other pop up menus. The experience is overall much slower. Today morning it took nearly 10 minutes until I could sign in. According to the update history the last update was a week ago and the BIOS is the latest and all the drivers are up to date. I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 2004. I don't understand what is the problem. Can someone please help? Should I try reinstalling windows? In this case should I format the hard drive or not?

7 minutes ago, TheEnchantedAxeYT said:

My HP Elitebook Folio 9470m ultrabook has started to become very slow. I recently reinstalled windows and wiped the hard drive. Everything was working fine until 2 days ago when I turned it on and started booting up even though I don't recall having shutting it down. The circular loading thing at the bottom was running slow, it was stuttering, so I restarted and then it took 5 minutes to boot. Once booted some processes were running, like it took a while to open the start menu for the first time and other pop up menus. The experience is overall much slower. Today morning it took nearly 10 minutes until I could sign in. According to the update history the last update was a week ago and the BIOS is the latest and all the drivers are up to date. I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 2004. I don't understand what is the problem. Can someone please help? Should I try reinstalling windows? In this case should I format the hard drive or not?

How many months/years have you been using the laptop for? 

You could try re-formatting the hard-drive, but this sometimes means that hard-drive is not cooperating. 

1 minute ago, Nano Adam said:

How many months/years have you been using the laptop for? 

You could try re-formatting the hard-drive, but this sometimes means that hard-drive is not cooperating. 

It's been in use around a year and a half. It's been well taken care of. This problem only showed up 2 days ago. Should I try reinstalling windows without formatting the hard drive first?

Depending on how old it is, you may want to consider repasting the cpu.  While you're at it, you may also want to consider upgrading the mechanical hard drive to something newer, like a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, then on top of that do a fresh install of Windows.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Depending on how old it is, you may want to consider repasting the cpu.  While you're at it, you may also want to consider upgrading the mechanical hard drive to something newer, like a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, then on top of that do a fresh install of Windows.

How would I repast the CPU? I do intend on upgrading to an SSD. Do I need to wipe my data when I reinstall windows?

Just now, TheEnchantedAxeYT said:

How would I repast the CPU? I do intend on upgrading to an SSD. Do I need to wipe my data when I reinstall windows?

I also just got the laptop serviced 2 weeks ago

The laptop also tends to heat up a lot since this begun. Even when there are not very CPU or GPU intensive processes running, not even Chrome