New modem suggestions

PunchyTurtle

Coax connection and capped at 150 mbps on my current plan. Just got a new modem since my old one was dying and now I'm getting drops down to 20 mbps and it's super frustrating.

I want something that isn't what my isp just suggested for me to get. A $160 modem that does 10 gigabit +, when I have a 150 mbps plan. Gotta love isps

EDIT: I am in the U.S. and my ISP is Cox

2 minutes ago, PunchbagTurtle said:

Coax connection and capped at 150 mbps on my current plan. Just got a new modem since my old one was dying and now I'm getting drops down to 20 mbps and it's super frustrating.

I want something that isn't what my isp just suggested for me to get. A $160 modem that does 10 gigabit +, when I have a 150 mbps plan. Gotta love isps

Well as they recommended one and you are getting stupid speed drops with a different one, they probably made that suggestion based on actually being the ISP and knowing what will work best.

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

Well as they recommended one and you are getting stupid speed drops with a different one, they probably made that suggestion based on actually being the ISP and knowing what will work best.

lol I don't have a 10 gigabit plan, only 150 mpbs. What they suggested for me was total bs, trust me. And isps don't have a good reputation for being honest to their customers. Take renting a modem for instance. They try to rent you the cheapest modem, and charge you some $20 a month for it, and you end up paying full price and more for having it for a year

31 minutes ago, PunchbagTurtle said:

lol I don't have a 10 gigabit plan, only 150 mpbs. What they suggested for me was total bs, trust me. And isps don't have a good reputation for being honest to their customers. Take renting a modem for instance. They try to rent you the cheapest modem, and charge you some $20 a month for it, and you end up paying full price and more for having it for a year

Who is your ISP? What country?

What speed should you be getting, ignoring the BS they are trying to sell you.

Can you buy your own modem and not get charged a rental fee?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Who is your ISP? What country?

What speed should you be getting, ignoring the BS they are trying to sell you.

Can you buy your own modem and not get charged a rental fee?

ISP is cox and I'm in the US. And yes I can get third party modems. I should be getting 150 mbps

41 minutes ago, PunchbagTurtle said:

ISP is cox and I'm in the US. And yes I can get third party modems. I should be getting 150 mbps

Ah, Cox will charge you (until December) even if you use a third party modem, because they can.

I would still look at a SB8200 or something if you plan to go gigabit at some point, otherwise an SB6183 is perfect.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Ah, Cox will charge you (until December) even if you use a third party modem, because they can.

I would still look at a SB8200 or something if you plan to go gigabit at some point, otherwise an SB6183 is perfect.

What do you mean by "charge" me? And SB6183 looks great! Thanks for the suggestion :)) 

3 minutes ago, PunchbagTurtle said:

What do you mean by "charge" me? And SB6183 looks great! Thanks for the suggestion :)) 

Cox will still charge you $10/month even if you use your own modem. They will still do it until the new law goes into effect in December preventing them from doing that bullcrap.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Cox will still charge you $10/month even if you use your own modem. They will still do it until the new law goes into effect in December preventing them from doing that bullcrap.

So they charge you for having a modem on top of your cable internet. Nice. Love that

Just now, PunchbagTurtle said:

So they charge you for having a modem on top of your cable internet. Nice. Love that

Yup, they are complete d-bags

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: