PC constantly reboots, doesn't make it to OS

NoLuckG
Go to solution Solved by NoLuckG,

Faulty CPU

I RMA'd the CPU and ordered a new one. Been running it a little over two weeks now and have had no issues.

Hope this post can save someone else time and heartache.

Thank you to @RoverZC!!

Hi everyone,

I put together a new PC last Monday, June 8. Everything was going well until I tried installing a game on Sunday, June 14. During installation, my PC rebooted, triggering a Windows update. I thought maybe Windows had forced an update, so after the update I went back to try and finish the installation of the game. Again it rebooted during installation. I then booted into my Linux distro on my SSD and tried downloading the game there, thinking there might be something up with my HDD. Now it reboots during download.

During some random reboots I would get a quick message about Machine Check with my CPU. Looking it up some people suggested it could be an overheating issue. I tried running Cinebench and it had no problem completing with CPU temps peaking at about 75 C.

After a couple more failed install attempts, the reboots became more frequent and it was to the point where I couldn't even boot into either drive's OS. I also tried booting to my Windows 10 install USB and only made it to the first prompt asking for language preferences before it restarted again.

Yesterday, June 15, I reseated the CPU, checking for any bent pins (none) and reapplied thermal paste. Everything worked although I had to reinstall my OSes. This morning, June 16, I attempted to restore my SSD backup I made from before building the new PC. About half way through my PC restarted again and is once again in a constant state of restarting, unable to get to either OS.

Here's the error message I sometimes get:

[0.672574] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 11: Machine Check: 0 Bank 0: baa0400000070135

[0.672577] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 MISC d0130fff00000000 SYND 14c180698

[0.672581] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:870f10 TIME 1592171931 SOCKET 0 APIC d microcode 8701021

Note: The CPU number seems to change between 5 and 11

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3600

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

Thermal paste: One that came with cooler

RAM: 2x16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3600 C16 (16-19-19-39)

SSD (Linux, distro Solus): Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

HDD (Windows 10): WD Blue 1TB

GPU: XFX RX 5700 Xt Thicc IIIPSU: Corsair RM650

Things I've tried:

Setting BIOS settings as outlined in this post.

Updating BIOS version to latest

Booting with stock BIOS settings

Clearing CMOS (by touching pins and removing battery for a few minutes)

Swapping in old GPU

Trying to boot with 1 RAM stick

Reseating all PSU cables

Changing CPU power cable

Left PC unplugged over night (~10 hours)

Ran 2 passes of MemTest86 with no errors.

Ran `sfc /scannow` in cmd as admin. Returned "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Reseating CPU (no bent pins) and reapplying thermal paste

The only thing left I can think is either a faulty CPU or MB.

Sorry for such a long post. Any help is extremely appreciated.

So the windows update seems to have caused the problem.  There is news on new hot fixes for windows causing problems with a lot of systems.  It may apply to you.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Read through my adventure here...

Very similar story. CPU worked fine for the first few days. Then it started rebooting. In shorter and shorter increments. Swapping CPU's fixed it, and I've been smooth sailing this.

I don't know if thats what your problem is, but I see parallels and we both had a Ryzen 3600.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

So the windows update seems to have caused the problem.  There is news on new hot fixes for windows causing problems with a lot of systems.  It may apply to you.

I don't think it is, because I reinstalled Windows and ended up having the issue again today. But this time it happened on my Linux distro.

5 minutes ago, RoverZC said:

Read through my adventure here...

Very similar story. CPU worked fine for the first few days. Then it started rebooting. In shorter and shorter increments. Swapping CPU's fixed it, and I've been smooth sailing this.

I don't know if thats what your problem is, but I see parallels and we both had a Ryzen 3600.

Thanks for sharing that. The issue seems to be exactly the same, and I tried most of the things you tried as well. Of course my CPU is the one thing I didn't order from Amazon so I could save like $20...

• 1 month later...

Faulty CPU

I RMA'd the CPU and ordered a new one. Been running it a little over two weeks now and have had no issues.

Hope this post can save someone else time and heartache.

Thank you to @RoverZC!!