I can't open .txt files

Itsslemon

I reset my computer and now i can't open .txt files, does anyone know how to fix this?

Screenshot (2).png

but i want to open it as a text document

Install Apache Open Office for example. You resetted your PC, hence all external programms like text editors are gone.

Try running notepad from Run.exe:

Windows Key + R -> notepad

image.png.fb94244d4576e87f9f6584bf4fbd0077.png

Alternatively, you can have a look in C:\Windows\System32 for notepad.exe.

Then try opening a txt file again, and click 'Look for another app on this PC'.

Browse to C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe and select it.

1 minute ago, thewill102 said:

You resetted your PC, hence all external programms like text editors are gone.

Notepad is built-in and the default, something went wrong somewhere for him.

NPP is good.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Itsslemon said:

I reset my computer and now i can't open .txt files, does anyone know how to fix this?

Screenshot (2).png

It seems like .txt extension file forgot to open with notepad (lost the default app to open). You just need to reassign the app. Follow the following command to fix this issue.

Step 1: Double-click on any .txt file. You'll get the same popup that you have in your screenshot.

Step 2: Click on the link "Look for another app on this PC"

Step 3: There you'll get the notepad app listed there. Select it and choose the option to always open with the same settings. If you see a Notepad entry listed there, then skip it and follow step 4 and then 5.

Step 4: Try to reset or reinstall the Notepad app in Windows 10 from the control panel or settings.

Step 5: Re-Register Notepad app in Windows 10 - Run the following command in Powershell: Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.WindowsNotepad* | Remove-AppxPackage For more details see this article: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3175-reinstall-re-register-apps-windows-10-a.html

That's it.

Hopefully your issue will be resolved after step 3. If it doesn't happen then step 4 or step 5 will be the trick to fix it.

If our instructions will help you then choose my answer as the best answer.

If you face any problems while applying the steps above, then reply back and I'll guide you with more details.