Windows 7 project

Hi all, I am working on new computers for a local school and was upgrading all of the machines there when I stumbled across a few that have windows 7 still installed on them. For this project I have just been swapping the old hard drive into the newly built computer but I know that windows 7 oem versions are tied to the motherboard. If I just use the windows 10 upgrader can I switch to a new mobo then with all of the files or do I have to copy everything over and use a whole new copy of windows 

Running the windows 7 upgrade will take the same amount of time or longer than a fresh install of 10

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

Running the windows 7 upgrade will take the same amount of time or longer than a fresh install of 10

That and you don't risk accidentally having a corrupted install or ending up with a very buggy win 10 because of how old the 7 install was.

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That and you don't risk accidentally having a corrupted install or ending up with a very buggy win 10 because of how old the 7 install was.

Then do you know the best way to get all files off should I just copy the program files and documents folder 

1 minute ago, man_named_corn said:

Then do you know the best way to get all files off should I just copy the program files and documents folder 

Why would you want to save the program files? Just copy whatever files you wish to be kept and install windows 10

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why would you want to save the program files? Just copy whatever files you wish to be kept and install windows 10

Yea the thing is that would normally be easy but they just save all of the files in random places and will put the directory for every program in different locations so I didn’t know what best practice would be