Bitcoin vs. The Federal Reserve - Andreas Antonopolous and Stefan Molyneux

I thought this gave some insight into the recent (and final, for Mt.Gox at least) Mt.Gox implosion. Enjoy :)

[823743930975334]&action_type_map=[%22yt-fb-app%3Aupload%22]&action_ref_map=[]

Cpu: 8350 @ 4.0Ghz / Mobo: Asus M5a99FX Pro R2.0 / RAM: 16GB HyperX Blu / GPU: GTX 780 DCII OC / CASE: NZXT Tempest 410 / SSDs: 120GB Samsung 840 / 240GB Samsung 840 Evo HDDs: 3TB WD Green / 320GB Seagate Momentus / PSU: Corsair TX650W / Display: Dell 1080p / Sound: Audigy 2 zs

1 hour 30 minutes?

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.png

But seriously, we all knew it would happen.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Lol...well, maybe if someone lost money on Gox...they might want to know why and how to prevent it in the future. I didn't lose any money but it's interesting to learn about.

Cpu: 8350 @ 4.0Ghz / Mobo: Asus M5a99FX Pro R2.0 / RAM: 16GB HyperX Blu / GPU: GTX 780 DCII OC / CASE: NZXT Tempest 410 / SSDs: 120GB Samsung 840 / 240GB Samsung 840 Evo HDDs: 3TB WD Green / 320GB Seagate Momentus / PSU: Corsair TX650W / Display: Dell 1080p / Sound: Audigy 2 zs

I can't watch this right now as to I am at school, but I will be sure to check this out whenever I get home. It sounds to be pretty interesting. :)

//ccap

I've found it quite worth the 40 minutes so far.

The FED should die in a fire along with gox. One lost 9 trillion in a year, the other 350M... obviously they are both based on magic the gathering.

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it

- Frederic Bastiat 1850

Problem is, Stefan Molyneux is a total imbecile - at least judging by his tinfoil-hat anarchy videos anyway. Someone else posted one of those and I explained, at length, why nothing he says is accurate or applicable to modern society whatsoever. Never heard him talk about Bitcoin before so I'll give this the benefit of the doubt until I have a chance to watch it, but in my experience he's the epitome of idiocy.

As for Antonopolous, I'm pretty sure she's been kicked out of several academic institutions for being an idiot too. Both have literally been branded as stupid people, by those more knowledgeable than themselves in the past, and in my experience that's not an inaccurate label to apply.

Like I said though, when I get a chance I'll give it a watch and see if they know more about Bitcoin than they do about politics and philosophy.

The FED should die in a fire along with gox. One lost 9 trillion in a year, the other 350M... obviously they are both based on magic the gathering.

right now they are stocking gold

Problem is, Stefan Molyneux is a total imbecile - at least judging by his tinfoil-hat anarchy videos anyway. Someone else posted one of those and I explained, at length, why nothing he says is accurate or applicable to modern society whatsoever. Never heard him talk about Bitcoin before so I'll give this the benefit of the doubt until I have a chance to watch it, but in my experience he's the epitome of idiocy.

As for Antonopolous, I'm pretty sure she's been kicked out of several academic institutions for being an idiot too. Both have literally been branded as stupid people, by those more knowledgeable than themselves in the past, and in my experience that's not an inaccurate label to apply.

Like I said though, when I get a chance I'll give it a watch and see if they know more about Bitcoin than they do about politics and philosophy.

Umm...Antonopolous is a man and I think you're talking about the wrong person anyway. Your opinion on Stefan Molyneux is noted, but irrellevant, as you simply framed him as a "tinfoil-hat anarchist" and an "imbecile" instead of actually providing any real arguments against anarchy...I'd like to see this thread you speak of. But simply saying you explained why nothing he says is accurate or applicable does not mean you actually did so. You do know what an ad hominem is don't you? I'd love it if I was wrong and you provided real arguments from first principles in your afforementioned thread that proved how the state is a valid institution and anarchy is somehow invalid...though I doubt it because I'm quite familiar with his arguments for anarchy and against the state and have not once come accross someone who can actually show them to be fallacious. They usually just call him names and get angry...kinda like you did. Most people who try to talk about anarchy or the state don't know what anarchy or the state even are and I'd bet you're no exception. But again, I'd like to see this thread since I'd like to keep this thread from exploding into an anarchist vs statist battle. Where do you hold those around here btw? ;)

He's done quite a few videos on Bitcoin every one of them informative and well done. This one was no exception.

Umm...Antonopolous is a man and I think you're talking about the wrong person anyway. Your opinion on Stefan Molyneux is noted, but irrellevant, as you simply framed him as a "tinfoil-hat anarchist" and an "imbecile" instead of actually providing any real arguments against anarchy...I'd like to see this thread you speak of. But simply saying you explained why nothing he says is accurate or applicable does not mean you actually did so. You do know what an ad hominem is don't you? I'd love it if I was wrong and you provided real arguments from first principles in your afforementioned thread that proved how the state is a valid institution and anarchy is somehow invalid...though I doubt it because I'm quite familiar with his arguments for anarchy and against the state and have not once come accross someone who can actually show them to be fallacious. They usually just call him names and get angry...kinda like you did. Most people who try to talk about anarchy or the state don't know what anarchy or the state even are and I'd bet you're no exception. But again, I'd like to see this thread since I'd like to keep this thread from exploding into an anarchist vs statist battle. Where do you hold those around here btw? ;)

He's done quite a few videos on Bitcoin every one of them informative and well done. This one was no exception.

Apologies - it's Papadopolous I'm thinking of; check out Molyneux's Wikipedia page - she's mentioned there. I'm well aware of ad hominem, but that would be me disregarding his views purely on the basis that I think he's an idiot. I'm not doing that here since as I've said, I've never heard him talk about Bitcoins before - only statism and anarchy.

As for where threads like the one I mentioned are posted, they show up in Off-topic from time to time. If I can find the thread I'm talking about I will - it was about his "the world is a farm" video, and I recall going through each of his points explaining how they're often relevant to specific states but not states in general, therefore there is no argument against statism. Just because something is so in the US or China or Russia does not mean that it is the case in all states because states are fundamentally different to each other.

EDIT: Went through my post history and found the thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/105074-the-world-is-a-farm/. I'm fully aware of what both anarchy and statism describe, so if you could keep your arrogance to a minimum (unlike Mr. Molyneux does) that would be great ^_^

Antonopolous (similar name, forgive my confusion) seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to Bitcoin, and in general I agree with what he says in the video. Molyneux constantly tries to bring it back to his anarchist ideas though (as well as acknowledging his own ignorance when it comes to BTC) and I don't think the Mt Gox closure is a demonstration that banks and other centralised financial services are inherently flawed - nor is the boom and bust cycle either for that matter. That's more a feature of capitalism and the fact that the world is unpredictable. Mt Gox had serious flaws, but that doesn't mean all banks or financial establishments do. Once again Molyneux's arguments may hold true for the USA and the US Federal Reserve, but outside of that they don't really make any sense. Nonetheless, nothing Molyneux says in the video is especially stupid or ridiculous - nowhere near the levels of facepalm reached in some of his other videos like the whole "world is a farm" thing. For that reason if you want to know more about Mt Gox closing (enough to spend an hour and a half on it), you can watch this without getting a totally warped view. The same cannot be said for all his videos though.

Apologies - it's Papadopolous I'm thinking of; check out Molyneux's Wikipedia page - she's mentioned there. I'm well aware of ad hominem, but that would be me disregarding his views purely on the basis that I think he's an idiot. I'm not doing that here since as I've said, I've never heard him talk about Bitcoins before - only statism and anarchy.

As for where threads like the one I mentioned are posted, they show up in Off-topic from time to time. If I can find the thread I'm talking about I will - it was about his "the world is a farm" video, and I recall going through each of his points explaining how they're often relevant to specific states but not states in general, therefore there is no argument against statism. Just because something is so in the US or China or Russia does not mean that it is the case in all states because states are fundamentally different to each other.

EDIT: Went through my post history and found the thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/105074-the-world-is-a-farm/. I'm fully aware of what both anarchy and statism describe, so if you could keep your arrogance to a minimum (unlike Mr. Molyneux does) that would be great ^_^

Antonopolous (similar name, forgive my confusion) seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to Bitcoin, and in general I agree with what he says in the video. Molyneux constantly tries to bring it back to his anarchist ideas though (as well as acknowledging his own ignorance when it comes to BTC) and I don't think the Mt Gox closure is a demonstration that banks and other centralised financial services are inherently flawed - nor is the boom and bust cycle either for that matter. That's more a feature of capitalism and the fact that the world is unpredictable. Mt Gox had serious flaws, but that doesn't mean all banks or financial establishments do. Once again Molyneux's arguments may hold true for the USA and the US Federal Reserve, but outside of that they don't really make any sense. Nonetheless, nothing Molyneux says in the video is especially stupid or ridiculous - nowhere near the levels of facepalm reached in some of his other videos like the whole "world is a farm" thing. For that reason if you want to know more about Mt Gox closing (enough to spend an hour and a half on it), you can watch this without getting a totally warped view. The same cannot be said for all his videos though.

You know...you seem to think you know what you're talking about. You should go on his show and debate him.

You know...you seem to think you know what you're talking about. You should go on his show and debate him.

I guess I could do that. I do wonder how he'd respond to my comments on "the world is a farm" video, since I consider that a pretty thorough disassembly of his argument. I'm not entirely sure how a  Molyneux-inspired world would operate, but he seems to have some pretty weird (and incorrect) ideas about how it worked in the past and how it works today.

Not to say that I'm the best candidate to debate him ofc. I'm sure there are people who know more about the area; I simply draw on historical facts (or just plain logic) to refute his assertations. It doesn't take a genius to see those videos for the nonsense they are - just someone with a half-decent education on the subjects at hand.

I guess I could do that. I do wonder how he'd respond to my comments on "the world is a farm" video, since I consider that a pretty thorough disassembly of his argument. I'm not entirely sure how a  Molyneux-inspired world would operate, but he seems to have some pretty weird (and incorrect) ideas about how it worked in the past and how it works today.

Not to say that I'm the best candidate to debate him ofc. I'm sure there are people who know more about the area; I simply draw on historical facts (or just plain logic) to refute his assertations. It doesn't take a genius to see those videos for the nonsense they are - just someone with a half-decent education on the subjects at hand.

Oh yeah, I think you'd do great. He does a call in show and you could call into it. They're a little backed up now but he's thinking of doing more shows in order compensate. You should definitely do it man. You seem SO knowledgeable about this stuff.

Oh yeah, I think you'd do great. He does a call in show and you could call into it. They're a little backed up now but he's thinking of doing more shows in order compensate. You should definitely do it man. You seem SO knowledgeable about this stuff.

Well, your sarcasm doesn't go unnoticed. I'm gonna choose to take your words literally though, since failure to provide any kind of counterpoint in defense of your idol suggests to me that there isn't one to make because he's wrong about that stuff. That was the end result of the last thread where this came up...

The World is a Farm   <------- That one?

I'm just starting part 2. The first part didn't seem imbecilic to me, just a rather clear cut way to see things. I assume you can take all sorts of real world systems and examine how they're much more similar to each other than received wisdom holds.

(Although I did feel the first 1.5 minutes was a waste of bandwidth)

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe

The World is a Farm   <------- That one?

I'm just starting part 2. The first part didn't seem imbecilic to me, just a rather clear cut way to see things. I assume you can take all sorts of real world systems and examine how they're much more similar to each other than received wisdom holds.

(Although I did feel the first 1.5 minutes was a waste of bandwidth)

Yeah the video you linked has a random 2 minutes stuck on the front and half of it cut off relative to the original linked in the thread before (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/105074-the-world-is-a-farm/). See my comment there if you want to see my problems with it - most of what he says is just plain incorrect, or if it has any accuracy at all it's only relevant to one specific system in one specific state that doesn't even necessarily exist any more.

Lol...well, maybe if someone lost money on Gox...they might want to know why and how to prevent it in the future. I didn't lose any money but it's interesting to learn about.

how to prevent it? don't be a gullible fool and store your own dammn cryptocurrency, don't hand it off to some random company which is stupid.