Need help finding computer case to accommodate proprietary mobo

Go to solution Solved by bigly,

Thank for measuring that for me so I know of at least 1 case that can work.聽 I'm still thinking of how I might modify the current case which is a more attractive idea for me and my D.I.Y. approach to computers.聽 I have my PC mounted in my desk drawer and my NAS mounted to my desk and the wall for more desktop space. If I do end up getting that case I'll have to rough it up a bit to fit the aesthetics. 馃ぃ

Again thank you for your input I wasn't aware of this brand of computer case and for only a little over 100 dollars I think you nailed it.

I have a old 1U Super Micro server,聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 |聽聽 https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron8000/MCP55/H8QMi-2.cfm聽聽 |

It is too loud for me to run in my apartment and I need to find a new case.

16.4" x 13" (41.7cm x 33.0cm) The form factor is proprietary and I can't seem to find any 4U server case that could fit this darn thing.聽聽 I am willing to do some light fabrication to make it mountable or fit.聽 EATX is 12" x 13" (30.5 cm x 33 cm) which is close but I just can't find a case that, by the photo at least, this thing could even theoretically fit.

If anyone can think of a model or brand that might fit this thing I'd thank you for letting me know.聽

What is the exact dimensions of the board?

My Folding Stats聽-聽Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING!聽- If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it.聽

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

What is the exact dimensions of the board?

Ignore this, I was stupid and did not look at the link.

This board is no where near EATX(which isn't actually a real thing these days)/SSI-EEB(12聽脳聽13聽in) It is however, very close to SSI-MEB(16.2聽脳聽13聽in) So I can see your best chance at finding a case would be one聽that will support a MEB board, VERY RARE and modding new mounting holes. That 16+ inch height is really going to be the problem here...聽

There are very few, if any standard type cases that will take聽this board... Are you looking for a rack-mount or free standing聽case?聽

My Folding Stats聽-聽Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING!聽- If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it.聽

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I am willing to buy either a rack mount or free standing case whichever one is cheaper.聽 I will look for those form factors. I should say the 40mm ones in the case scream bloody murder when they turn on which is the reason I'm looking for a different case.聽 Power supply isn't quite by any means but I'm willing to deal. If nothing else I could cut out holes on the top of the case for cpu fans.

Thank you, for your input and quick reply guy!

3 minutes ago, bigly said:

I am willing to buy either a rack mount or free standing case whichever one is cheaper.聽 I will look for those form factors. I should say the 40mm ones in the case scream bloody murder when they turn on which is the reason I'm looking for a different case.聽 Power supply isn't quite by any means but I'm willing to deal. If nothing else I could cut out holes on the top of the case for cpu fans.

Thank you, for your input and quick reply guy!

What other hardware are you running, multi GPUs for instance? I may have a case in mind depending on the system.聽

So can you post full specs please of the intended deployment?聽

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I don't have a specific role in mind for this,聽 I have never owned server equipment and when I saw this on facebook for 40$ I was eager for the opportunity to tinker and learn.聽 It has 1 pci slot I suppose it would be cool to throw in a old graphics card I have lying around. Hard drive bays would definitely be a plus but as long as I can fit the power supply and one hard drive I'd be fine with that.聽 Apologies for my vagueness I am still figuring out what I can use this for.

Just now, bigly said:

I don't have a specific role in mind for this,聽 I have never owned server equipment and when I saw this on facebook for 40$ I was eager for the opportunity to tinker and learn.聽 It has 1 pci slot I suppose it would be cool to throw in a old graphics card I have lying around. Hard drive bays would definitely be a plus but as long as I can fit the power supply and one hard drive I'd be fine with that.聽 Apologies for my vagueness I am still figuring out what I can use this for.

It is no worries, I have a huge world war II聽royal artillerymen motor crate that I got for a project, never really worked out the project though.

Then, I have this case, and with some modding it聽could聽work, you'd have to cut out the existing PSU shroud to do it, or you could create a new motherboard case siting on top of the current PSU shroud. This would really limit the usable height of the system though. As far HD mounting... well... youd have to be imaginative.

i'm sure there are other cases you can use, but this is one I have so could measure it to be certain for you.聽

The Aerocool Tor Pro case.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Thank for measuring that for me so I know of at least 1 case that can work.聽 I'm still thinking of how I might modify the current case which is a more attractive idea for me and my D.I.Y. approach to computers.聽 I have my PC mounted in my desk drawer and my NAS mounted to my desk and the wall for more desktop space. If I do end up getting that case I'll have to rough it up a bit to fit the aesthetics. 馃ぃ

Again thank you for your input I wasn't aware of this brand of computer case and for only a little over 100 dollars I think you nailed it.

1 minute ago, bigly said:

No problem at all!聽

Also, the case steel is quite a decent gauge too so it isnt too much of a worry of the thing becoming wobbly due to modifications.

Anyway, glad to be of assistance for you!

If you ever wanted to or considered helping with medical research, come join us running Folding @ Home please do hit us up on the folding section.聽

Happy folding,聽

Spec.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w聽
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240