Failed Secure Wipe with Sandisk Extreme SSD and GParted

davidst95
Go to solution Solved by StDragon,

Try DISKPART, it's built into Windows

Seagate has a nice write-up on how to clean all partitions off a single drive.

***WARNING*** - Pay attention to the instructions carefully so as to not wipe the wrong device!

Hi, I have a 1TB Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD.   I attempted to do a secure wipe with GParted but it seemed to failed.  No mater what I try I can't access the drive anymore to try to create a new partition.   Is there anyway to recover the drive?   I can't find the receipt to send it back for a replacement.   Any advice with greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

David

23 hours ago, StDragon said:

Try DISKPART, it's built into Windows

Seagate has a nice write-up on how to clean all partitions off a single drive.

***WARNING*** - Pay attention to the instructions carefully so as to not wipe the wrong device!

Thanks for the suggestion but no log.  Diskpart errors out once I try to do a clean.   I might just sell it on eBay cheap as is if anyone has a better understanding of fixing it than I do.

David

Call Sandisk and see if it's still under warranty for a replacement.

Alternatively, you could try cracking the case to separate the NVMe drive from the USB-C board. If you can install the NVMe drive into an M.2 slot, that might enumerate the drive to the point of clearing out all the partitions with DISKPART.

https://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=images.tweaktown.com/content/9/2/9280_08_sandisk-extreme-pro-1tb-portable-ssd-review_full.jpg