Unusual issue with my HDMI monitor

hedghehog

Hi there thanks for reading,

I'm having difficulties hooking up my PC to my HDMI display. When I plug in the cable nothing happens and the message 'no connection found' (or whatever it is) does not show up, the monitor also leaves power saving mode when I plug in the cable so it recognises the connection at least.

Using the same cable I am able to connect my PC to a different monitor just fine with no issues.

I am also able to connect my switch to the above mentioned monitor using a HDMI cable with no issues.

So,

The HDMI cable is not the issue

The pc is not the issue

And, the monitor is not the issue

So what is?? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

did you try it in safe mode? if not, try that real quick. could be a driver issue

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

did you try it in safe mode? if not, try that real quick. could be a driver issue

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try when I get home

8 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

Sorry for the late response! I got home and tried safe mode, it didn't work.

I also was able to get a successful ouput signal from my laptop to the monitor using the same hdmi cable so it must be something with the pc. (Note the pc is able to output to other monitors with hdmi)

I can get DV-I output from my pc to the same monitor 

So I'm thinking maybe I've somehow blacklisted the specific monitor or maybe I need monitor drivers??? (Do these exist haha). Any more tips would be appreciated thanks

Im all out of ideas with this one and would love some fresh eyes to help me with this,

When connecting my PC to my monitor it will say no connection with a HDMI cable (note plugging in the cable wakes up the monitor) but with a DV-I cable works fine.

Using the same HDMI cable I am able to get a successful image output onto a different monitor.

Again using the same cable with my laptop I am able to get a successful image output on the original (not working) monitor.

So what's the issue? Do I need to download some drivers or something haha.

I have tried booting in safe mode and I have the latest graphics card drivers (using a 1050ti)

Thanks for the help!

11 minutes ago, hedghehog said:

Im all out of ideas with this one and would love some fresh eyes to help me with this,

When connecting my PC to my monitor it will say no connection with a HDMI cable (note plugging in the cable wakes up the monitor) but with a DV-I cable works fine.

Using the same HDMI cable I am able to get a successful image output onto a different monitor.

Again using the same cable with my laptop I am able to get a successful image output on the original (not working) monitor.

So what's the issue? Do I need to download some drivers or something haha.

I have tried booting in safe mode and I have the latest graphics card drivers (using a 1050ti)

Thanks for the help!

Try using DDU to unistall the drivers correctly, then search for the latest STABLE approved windows release of your drivers (not the latest drivers in general) from Nvidia and reinstall them

6 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

Try using DDU to unistall the drivers correctly, then search for the latest STABLE approved windows release of your drivers (not the latest drivers in general) from Nvidia and reinstall them

Thanks I will let you know how this goes when I try it

1 hour ago, 3rrant said:

I've actually been able to stream my pc to my laptop using chrome remote desktop while its plugged into the monitor.

I can see that the monitor IS detected. I went into the properties and updated the monitors drivers (i got a 'successfully updated' message) but that didn't seem to help. it's interesting that it is detecting the monitor.

2 hours ago, hedghehog said:

I've actually been able to stream my pc to my laptop using chrome remote desktop while its plugged into the monitor.

I can see that the monitor IS detected. I went into the properties and updated the monitors drivers (i got a 'successfully updated' message) but that didn't seem to help. it's interesting that it is detecting the monitor.

The problem should be on the gpu drivers, not the monitor itself. If you can't even see the BIOS, then the problem is either the gpu or the monitor physically. Why they are incompatible I don't know, unless they use different hdmi versions or something like that

2 hours ago, Kaloob said:

Isn't HDMI backwards compatible?

It should, that's why I said I wouldn't know the reason for it not to work but I honestly don't see another option really

3 hours ago, Kaloob said:

Probably the other reasons you said (monitor or gpu issue), an HDMI incompatibility would be odd.

If I were OP I'd try using another HDMI-compatible device with the montitor if possible.

I have! Ive been able to get a successful hdmi output on this monitor with a seraparate laptop and my nintendo switch

8 hours ago, 3rrant said:

The problem should be on the gpu drivers, not the monitor itself. If you can't even see the BIOS, then the problem is either the gpu or the monitor physically. Why they are incompatible I don't know, unless they use different hdmi versions or something like that

Its a Zowie Rl2455, Using hdmi 2.0. I even went to benq's website to install the drives...didnt do anything. 

15 hours ago, hedghehog said:

Sorry for the late response! I got home and tried safe mode, it didn't work.

I also was able to get a successful ouput signal from my laptop to the monitor using the same hdmi cable so it must be something with the pc. (Note the pc is able to output to other monitors with hdmi)

I can get DV-I output from my pc to the same monitor 

So I'm thinking maybe I've somehow blacklisted the specific monitor or maybe I need monitor drivers??? (Do these exist haha). Any more tips would be appreciated thanks

i could be wrong, but my best guess is the pc may be trying to put out a specific resolution to the monitor, and the monitor isn't taking it. maybe a driver ddu would help

2 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

i could be wrong, but my best guess is the pc may be trying to put out a specific resolution to the monitor, and the monitor isn't taking it. maybe a driver ddu would help

I've plugged in the broken and a working monitor both connected with hdmi, and went through the driver DDU and reinstalled gefore experience and got the latest drivers. Still not working. So fristrating! Any other ideas?

20 minutes ago, hedghehog said:

I've plugged in the broken and a working monitor both connected with hdmi, and went through the driver DDU and reinstalled gefore experience and got the latest drivers. Still not working. So fristrating! Any other ideas?

no, unfortunately. it's passed my knowledge at this point. you would likely get better responses if this was posted in 'troubleshooting" instead of "displays"

2 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

no, unfortunately. it's passed my knowledge at this point. you would likely get better responses if this was posted in 'troubleshooting" instead of "displays"

Thanks for your help and no worries. Ill post another topic

Just now, Kaloob said:

At least this narrows it down to a laptop issue...

Don't think it's a driver issue if you are having these issues in the BIOS... 

What should I look for in the bios?

Just now, Kaloob said:

Oh, I thought you weren't able to get an output in the BIOS, which is what I was referring to. 

Maybe look and see if you can force the iGPU?

I've got a 5 3600 which doesn't have intergrated graphics. Im able to get output using the GPU on different monitors and Im able to get output on the monitor that isnt working from my other devices (like laptop and nintendo switch).

Ive completely uninstalled and reinstalled my GPU drivers using DDU.

Don't really know what else to try

I'm currently having an issue getting a display output from my gtx1050ti to my ROWIERl2455 monitor using hdmi (note, using DVI between these two works fine). With 2 monitors plugged in I am able to see that my PC is detecting the monitor just not outputting a signal. The monitor also seems to think theres a connection and goes black, I cannot access my monitor controls when in this state. 

Im able to get a successful output using the same cable onto other monitors from my pc.

Im able to get a successful output using the same cable to the 'broken' monitor from other devices like my laptop.

I have tried,

Restarting in safe mode

Used DDU to remove my drivers and reinstalled them.

I have installed benq's driver software for the monitor.

I have reset the monitors settings

Used multiple hdmi cables 

Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Just now, Kaloob said:

Are you referring to the problematic monitor as the "other one"? If so, I may have a dumb solution that may work...

Sorry should be more clear. I've got a spare monitor that i'm using which is what I referred to as 'other' this one works fine with hdmi. And I can access bios when using it. 

Just now, hedghehog said:

Sorry should be more clear. I've got a spare monitor that i'm using which is what I referred to as 'other' this one works fine with hdmi. And I can access bios when using it. 

I can even connect the broken monitor at the same time to get the dual monitor and put it in extended mode haha I just can't see anything obviously

Try this:

1) Turn the monitor off
2) Disconnect the monitor power cable

3) Press the monitor power button for 30 seconds
4) Reconnect the power cable to the monitor. The other end should be plugged directly into the wall socket. No UPS or surge protector
5) Reconnect the video cable and retest

Just now, Kaloob said:

Oh, ok.

Does the problematic monitor show the BIOS? Can't find a definitive answer on this thread.

No. Ive got no display at all on the monitor. Even when in bios

3 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Try this:

1) Turn the monitor off
2) Disconnect the monitor power cable

3) Press the monitor power button for 30 seconds
4) Reconnect the power cable to the monitor. The other end should be plugged directly into the wall socket. No UPS or surge protector
5) Reconnect the video cable and retest

Tried this. When I trurned it back on the screen said 'no connection' I plugged in the hdmi and It just went black, as If it had recognised a hdmi connection and automatically switched to the correct input but it was stuck on the black screen. I can't access the monitors menus from this screen either when pressing the buttons

2 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Oh. Stumped on this one! Maybe try reseating the GPU? Probably won't do anything but may as well try...

Yes I have tried this too. I even recently upgraded my build and still the problem persists either in the GPU or monitor. As everything else was replaced. It isn't the end of the world as DV-I works fine but I have to see this to the end! :)