Question about “gaming” setup

Go to solution Solved by fordy_rounds,

When we talk about power and computers, there's two meanings of the word power: electricity/energy used (i.e. 450W of power) and processing/graphics power (a.k.a. performance—when someone talks about a "powerful" PC, this is usually what they mean).

So, all your peripherals might take a lot of power/energy, but they're not going to take much power/performance. The keyboard takes no additional performance vs. using the laptop's keyboard; the same OS subroutine that watches for keystrokes runs, regardless of how many sources there may be. Same thing goes for the mouse; mouse and touchpad use the same OS hooks, and it doesn't matter how many there are (and the mouse's receiver handles all the wireless protocol, your CPU doesn't even know it's wireless. Even if it's Bluetooth, the BT chip handles it, so again, no impact on performance). The monitor could affect graphics performance slightly, but only if you're using it as a dual-monitor setup, and even then, unless you have a really bad GPU or are running 3D graphics in both screens, it probably won't be noticeable. The cooling pad is probably energy-only, with literally zero effect on performance (and actually potentially helping performance because it keeps the CPU/GPU a little cooler).

As for the effect on power/energy, it still doesn't make much difference. The monitor is probably self-powered (HDMI doesn't support power delivery, as far as I know), so it consumes no power from your laptop. The keyboard and the mouse dongle take a little bit, but it's not very much. The cooler might take some, but it's probably 1A/5W at most (and likely less than that). So if you ran on battery, you might see a very slight decrease in battery life, but it wouldn't be very noticeable.

Okay so I don’t quite know if this is the right place to ask this question but I have recently gotten a new Razer blade stealth 2020 and I’ve been working on a type of setup for it for when I use it on my desk. My basic setup is I have a usb c dongle connected the laptop and then off thay dongle I have my hdmi cable for my monitor , a usb connection for my external keyboard and another usb connection for my laptop cooling pad, then back to the laptop when I have a usb sensor connected for my wireless mouse. My question is would having all this stuff connected to my laptop effect performance at all? Because it obviously is taking a lot of power correct ? Side note I do have my laptop connected to the power supply while I have all this other stuff connected 

No performance impact, or at least not a noticeable one. You might see a performance drop if you disconnected the power supply, but that would only be because it was running on battery.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

When we talk about power and computers, there's two meanings of the word power: electricity/energy used (i.e. 450W of power) and processing/graphics power (a.k.a. performance—when someone talks about a "powerful" PC, this is usually what they mean).

So, all your peripherals might take a lot of power/energy, but they're not going to take much power/performance. The keyboard takes no additional performance vs. using the laptop's keyboard; the same OS subroutine that watches for keystrokes runs, regardless of how many sources there may be. Same thing goes for the mouse; mouse and touchpad use the same OS hooks, and it doesn't matter how many there are (and the mouse's receiver handles all the wireless protocol, your CPU doesn't even know it's wireless. Even if it's Bluetooth, the BT chip handles it, so again, no impact on performance). The monitor could affect graphics performance slightly, but only if you're using it as a dual-monitor setup, and even then, unless you have a really bad GPU or are running 3D graphics in both screens, it probably won't be noticeable. The cooling pad is probably energy-only, with literally zero effect on performance (and actually potentially helping performance because it keeps the CPU/GPU a little cooler).

As for the effect on power/energy, it still doesn't make much difference. The monitor is probably self-powered (HDMI doesn't support power delivery, as far as I know), so it consumes no power from your laptop. The keyboard and the mouse dongle take a little bit, but it's not very much. The cooler might take some, but it's probably 1A/5W at most (and likely less than that). So if you ran on battery, you might see a very slight decrease in battery life, but it wouldn't be very noticeable.

13 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

thank you so much just one more question, sorry i am quite new to this stuff, but i do in fact use my monitor as dual monitor so my laptop and the monitor if that makes sense. i have a pretty decent GPU but if i had say a YouTube video playing on the laptop monitor while i was playing a game on the bigger display would that effect performance any noticeable amount? and my does connecting to an HDMI cable from a smaller display like the laptop to a bigger one just simply blow up the picture or does the qulaity remain relatively the same ? thank you in advance for any help 🙂

It would affect performance, but if you have a powerful GPU it shouldn't make a massive difference although that depends on a few other factors too. As for the second monitor, no, it doesn't just blow the image up from the laptop's display resolution - anything on the secondary screen will be outputted natively at whatever resolution the monitor is set to.