GPU Buzzing, DirectX errors, and screen stuttering

Spayyce

Hi! A few month ago my GPU started to make a relatively unnoticable electrical buzzing sound and I googled it and most places said it was likely coil whine and not to worry so I assumed it was the same with mine. I had no issues with the card at all other than the buzzing and it would never get hotter than 80c during games which I believe is still alright.

However since around 2 weeks ago I started getting crashes on FFXIV randomly when loading into a dungeon or raid and it wasnt reproducable that often and would happen maybe 1 in 10 times and I would need to reboot it. Then, after maybe a few days the screen on my game started stuttering like crazy. The screen would flicker a bunch of colours and it would be very unpleasant to look at because of how intense it was, but it didn't look like artifacting. I would tab out and back in and the intense glitchy behaviour would stop 90% of the time and if it didnt a restart would fix it.

Then after a week I noticed I was getting DirectX errors on Civ5 and CS:GO has became unplayable due to the frequency my screen just goes full stutter mode (I noticed csgo has see through rectangular bars where the kill feed is and its mirrored on the left too, idk wall hacks?) or the game just goes white and I get the sandtimer of death. I am unsure if my GPU is dying as I have only had it for a year and a half (Feb 2019)

My Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

Zotac GTX 1070 8GB

16GB DDR4 3200MHz

120GB SSD , 1TB HDD

Windows 10

Potential Solutions I tried:

- Updating Drivers

- Installing Previous Version of Drivers

- Reinstalling DirectX (even though its baked into Windows 10)

- Underclocking by -75 and -100 respectively on MSI Afterburner

I may have missed out some solutions that I have tried but I am fairly certain heat isnt a problem since it would happen with CS:GO moments after getting in games sometimes. Thanks for reading my post and sorry in advance for any spelling errors or grammatical things, I am typing on phone. 

All the best,

Try ddu 

Check temps 

Try putting the power limit slider to 50% 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Try ddu 

Check temps 

Try putting the power limit slider to 50% 

Hey, thanks for replying. I have checked temperatures just now and CS:GO crashed when my temperature reached 66C which is well within safe operating range. I posted earlier that my GPU doesn't exceed temperatures of 80C when I am on games, even for hours.

Also to add for future posts, I uninstalled the drivers through Device Manager and reinstalled them on my next reboot (I found out that my driver date was July 2019 prior to this, even though I was updating the drivers myself)

So my drivers are now up to date, but the crashes still occur. I will be doing more testing as when I am playing CS:GO without underclocking the game will just crash instantly, but when I underclock my GPU Core Clock by 75 and Memory Clock by 100 it doesn't crash, but can do some wild stuff with the display.

Also, TofuHaroto - how would I go about changing the Power Limit on my card and could this be an issue with my PSU? Again, thank you for the reply

Just now, Spayyce said:

Also to add for future posts, I uninstalled the drivers through Device Manager and reinstalled them on my next reboot (I found out that my driver date was July 2019 prior to this, even though I was updating the drivers myself)

It's usually recommend to use ddu 

Just now, Spayyce said:

Also, TofuHaroto - how would I go about changing the Power Limit on my card and could this be an issue with my PSU? Again, thank you for the reply

No it could not be the PSU it could be the GPU 

That buzzing sound is worrying me 

Go to msi after burner and set the power limit to -50% or 50%

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

It's usually recommend to use ddu 

No it could not be the PSU it could be the GPU 

That buzzing sound is worrying me 

Go to msi after burner and set the power limit to -50% or 50%

I will get a recording of the buzzing sound to show you soon, since I am completely unsure what it could be.

I turned the Power Limit down to 95% (because bringing it down was affecting my max temperatures) and so far it hasn't crashes after 5 minutes of gameplay and the temperate has went from:

Going to to around 70C in 2 minutes

to...

Staying around 65C all the time

The suggestion about the Power has definitely done something, although the buzzing is still present

1 minute ago, Spayyce said:

The suggestion about the Power has definitely done something, although the buzzing is still present

Try lowering it a bit more 

Maybe to 80 

This is just temporary as it could be the problem but we will have to see 

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Try lowering it a bit more 

Maybe to 80 

This is just temporary as it could be the problem but we will have to see 

The buzzing remains at the same noise level and begins whenever the GPU falls under any stress (I even hear it on osu! mildly and that game requires next to no GPU power to play) the only time I don't hear the buzzing is when I am watching videos online.

I uploaded a video of the sound so you can hear it more clearly. I also tabbed out and back in a couple times so you can hear the difference between when it's idle and when it starts buzzing

EDIT: Forgive my squeaky chair I have had it for the better half of 8 years

2 minutes ago, Spayyce said:

uploaded a video of the sound so you can hear it more clearly. I also tabbed out and back in a couple times so you can hear the difference between when it's idle and when it starts buzzing

Have you tried setting the power limit to 80 or something lower ?

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Have you tried setting the power limit to 80 or something lower ?

Yeah, that video was during gameplay when I had the power level on 80%

Experienced another crash after around an hour of gameplay whilst on 90% power limit. Have yet to report with other games though. Does anyone have any idea on what could be causing that sound whenever I get into a game?

By Steps

1 - Use DDU in safe mode

2 - New drivers

3 - Problem still there, check temps 

4 - If it has warraty RMA it

5 - No warraty get good termal paste, MX4 is good and can be used on gpus, clean the card and apply termal paste and report back

6 - Try the card with the case open if it helps do step 5 and improve your temps inside the case

Good luck

5 minutes ago, Xkillerpn said:

By Steps

1 - Use DDU in safe mode

2 - New drivers

3 - Problem still there, check temps 

4 - If it has warraty RMA it

5 - No warraty get good termal paste, MX4 is good and can be used on gpus, clean the card and apply termal paste and report back

6 - Try the card with the case open if it helps do step 5 and improve your temps inside the case

Good luck

Alright, I will give DDU a try and report back any results.

I've checked drivers myself, but will use DDU for this also

Temps are fine, it recently crashed at only 73C

I am only wanting to RMA as my absolute last resort since I have never returned anything before as I like to just get on with it myself

I would have no idea where to start with putting paste on a GPU

I've had the case open but I think this would only affect temps(?)

EDIT: forgot to say thank you for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me

14 minutes ago, Spayyce said:

Alright, I will give DDU a try and report back any results.

I've checked drivers myself, but will use DDU for this also

Temps are fine, it recently crashed at only 73C

I am only wanting to RMA as my absolute last resort since I have never returned anything before as I like to just get on with it myself

I would have no idea where to start with putting paste on a GPU

I've had the case open but I think this would only affect temps(?)

EDIT: forgot to say thank you for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me

Dont Paste if you are going to RMA

90% Power seems to have fixed the issues with my GPU. The drivers weren't at fault so does this mean that I should return the GPU? I have only had it for a year and a half and it does seem like it's on its way out if I have to go down to 90% to keep it stable. I haven't touched the clock speeds either.

a86bf24b1a.png